Port Raids

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Port Raids

Post by Trigek »

Port Raids for large sums of cash is too easy. Have seen many alliances Port Raid and live off that cash this game, even DeasthControls bonding for was largely based on income from Port Raids (although we had a few hundred mil of our own). There should be some kind of limit, I would say around 50 mil. Enough that if an alliance is in dire need a few PRs can help, but it can not be the main source of income.

This would also make bonding more important.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I totally agree. I wasn't going to post on it until closer to the end of the game, but the rewards for port raiding are much too high. There definitely needs to be a cap on how much a PR will give (50 mill sounds about right), perhaps with a bonus for every ship the port has destroyed (5 or 10 mill maybe?).

For this game to really work, cash must be an issue. As soon as the major players have more money that they can use, the game immediately becomes far less interesting. I am not saying that a well-run alliance should not be able to build up a few 100 mill through hard work and careful bonding, but being able to finance a warfleet with a single port raid is unbalanced.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

an alliance really only has to sources of cash, port raids or trading, and if its an active op alliance, trading isnt much fun, a PR gives that option. Now a raid should give decent cash, but not as much as it does at present, a cap of 50-75Mil works, dependant on port level
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Nix`
Quiet One

Post by Nix` »

Damn what sort of ports do you have to raid for that? I've never seen over 20mill for 1 port and I've been in raids on the top ports in racials and non racials. (That port that lotus was trading the 1 good at etc.):D
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

I remember TO getting 400m for pr'ing ports a while back, weren't even top ports, from 5 ports i think, can't remember
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!
Penglund
Quiet One

Post by Penglund »

Vladdy we got around 400 mill off of 3 ports and 292 mill of that money was from one port.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

Nix` wrote:Damn what sort of ports do you have to raid for that? I've never seen over 20mill for 1 port and I've been in raids on the top ports in racials and non racials. (That port that lotus was trading the 1 good at etc.):D
duh... port doesnt get much cash when you only trade 1 good at the time... ;)
=)

It takes one to be one!
smeghead

Post by smeghead »

One other thing to think about is that PRing is another way that the big alliances can seriously hurt a lot of other players.

Weaker alliances rely mainly on trading for cash. If someone PRs their best routes (which happened when The Order PRd the fed route in Nij) then that affects their source of income for the rest of the game. Prior to that point Nij were second (I think) in terms of exp on the rankings, but after that Nij spiralled down to the bottom.

I know that this is a valid tactic for hurting another alliance that you at war with, but PRing routes in racials affects more than just a single alliance. The fact that it is easy to do for the big alliances, and they get a huge reward for it does not help this problem.

Reducing the amount of cash you get makes sense. It mean that an alliance can stull bust a port to improve their own routes, and to wreck their enemies, but they will be less inclined to bust racials for cash.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

PRing a heavily traded port will always be valid, no matter what galaxy it is in. Ok, so the minor alliances or independents will have to settle for lesser routes, while the big boys make & protect good multipliers for themselves - that is part of what seperates the major alliances from the rest of the field.

The issue here is not busting up racial routes, I have no problem with that - in fact, when we (DC) had other sources of income we made a point of trying to disrupt the cashflow for others (our first major PR's in Awakening were in Alskant to take away a major source of income for TO). The problem here is large gains in return for very little investment or risk (in terms of cash and turns).
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

Ardbeg: as a matter of fact, the money routes of Alskant only gave more money after the first bust ;)
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!