Port Raids

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Jeez OR, you never cease to amaze me, of course I didn't ask to be "backed up" - of all the people on this forum, I am the last one who needs help winning arguments......especially against ignorant fools who don't even recognize sarcasm when they see it.

As for my post on the Alskant port raids, it was a direct reply to smeghead's post since I needed to show the validity of hitting major racial galaxy ports.

If you can't contribute to what we are actually discussing here without resorting to petty, pathetic (and failed) attempts to take shots at me, then I suggest you do us all a favor and go waste someone else's time.
axisofunity
Beta Tester

FS you're joined at the hip aren't you OR and Ard!

Post by axisofunity »

From what I see, you're both wasting my time reading this. I agree with Thal.

Chill or tbh, grow up. GO start your own thread together, you seem joined at the hip.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: FS you're joined at the hip aren't you OR and Ard!

Post by Ardbeg »

axisofunity wrote:From what I see, you're both wasting my time reading this. I agree with Thal.

Chill or tbh, grow up. GO start your own thread together, you seem joined at the hip.
If you took the time to read the thread you would see that I have made valid contributions to an important discussion - I am not the one spamming the thread with ignorant personal attacks and oversized sig files.......but if someone tries to take cheap shots at me, I will respond and make them look like the fools they are.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

Bad idea. This was fixed from last game cause it was way way to low at 20 mil. the 2 main sources of income are trading and port raiding. Taking this out would jsut plunge the majority of the game back into being poor and slow the game down more than it already is with our lack of a good player base.

If they game as a whole is rich, then people will be buying more ships, and playing more. you will see less people in psf's for weeks at a time to make money. more more means more interaction in the game. At least thats how i think it works. Back int he day of SMR around ng3-ng6 everyone was rich. and i remember a smr gamer where therte were 3000 players. now i know some were multis, but not that many....

there is a connection between the two. Not everyone has the ability to manage cash effectively enough to sustain themselves indefinetely on trading and planet bonding as DC and some of the other big alliances.

Bottom line i think this is a bad idea and should be kept the way it is now.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

thats a hypothetical situation and in the real game by average players would be extremely hard to pull off.

and the ports take a while to get that much cash in them. caunt do it right away.

I dont know about everyone else. But my alliance was not any richer this game than last. i dont think anyone was too rich this game. my alliance certainly wasnt.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

bottom line - as soon as the top alliances have more money than they need, the game immediately becomes less interesting, less challenging and as a result - less fun. This game is all about managing resources, whether it be active players, online time, turns, or cash, it should be something that is a factor in the game. With PR's so lucrative, cash is quite simply not a factor for any semi-active, semi-skilled alliance.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

Only "big alliances" are able to bust for big money, I don't see any of the "little guys" doing it, and big alliances actually only need the money only if they are in really bad shape (as in taking a beating) or lazy. In the first case 50 mil for 1 port is reasonable, as if you have the ships for one usually means you can do a few and make 100 or 150 mil, quite enough to fund ships.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
smeghead

Post by smeghead »

I'll reiterate what I said before since my point seems to have been missed.

PRing for cash is a profitable and reasonably easy tactic for well-organised alliance. That is fine - if they are organised enough to pull of an op that nets them half a billion then they deserve it.

The problem is that it is done at the cost of trading routes -- in order for the big alliance to get 500 mill they have to destroy a handful of the best trading routes.

This has the effect of buggering up the source of income for the remaining alliances who aren't organised enough to make 500mill from PRing.

One solution could be to seperate raiding and destroying ports.

You can raid a port for cash, but it doesn't destroy levels - it just looses all the cash it had. Any maybe the supply and demand for all goods drop to 0 for a while.

If on the other hand you do want to destroy port levels (to hurt an enemy alliance, or otherwise bugger up some traders) then you can still do that too, but you don't get any cash.

This means there is still cash available via PRs. And there are still trading routes for traders.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

smeghead wrote:I'll reiterate what I said before since my point seems to have been missed.

PRing for cash is a profitable and reasonably easy tactic for well-organised alliance. That is fine - if they are organised enough to pull of an op that nets them half a billion then they deserve it.

The problem is that it is done at the cost of trading routes -- in order for the big alliance to get 500 mill they have to destroy a handful of the best trading routes.

This has the effect of buggering up the source of income for the remaining alliances who aren't organised enough to make 500mill from PRing.

One solution could be to seperate raiding and destroying ports.

You can raid a port for cash, but it doesn't destroy levels - it just looses all the cash it had. Any maybe the supply and demand for all goods drop to 0 for a while.

If on the other hand you do want to destroy port levels (to hurt an enemy alliance, or otherwise bugger up some traders) then you can still do that too, but you don't get any cash.

This means there is still cash available via PRs. And there are still trading routes for traders.
Wouldn't work. I would just bust in size tell it is weak and useless, and then raid for cash.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
smeghead

Post by smeghead »

Ok then, so when you destroy levels you also destroy the cash.

That way if you want the cash and want to destroy it you have to have to do twice the work.