multiple character

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

legalize multis?

Post by MrSpock »

ok. let me short explain what came to my silly mind this night:

after you login you get the chance to 'create' up to 3 chars. you can use each one (maybe with one hour delay so you are not able to switch instantly...)
why? i mean, hey. there are several multis out there - you bet.
mainly i guess the 'aol' guys who got tagged once, added to exception list and now got a free ticket to multi (because they are not tagged again)

what would be the downside?
i guess scouting would be one point. scout with one guy and use this knowledge to trade with another. no big deal, because in the beginning maps are out fast because of the share maps alliance.
second would be one char is trading the other is hunting. but we could code some logic here that it won't be possible that two chars of same account are not able to send cash to eachother or interact in any way.
i think it needs some planning but could be done.

what would we gain?
+ a feature that simular games don't have.
+ guys who got more time can play more.
+ legalize something that is everyone doing. 8)

gimme your thoughts.

the great allmighty 8O
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
Nariis

Post by Nariis »

You know....I like that idea. Now to incriminate myself...hehe. In Shimlar you're allowed to have two characters, but you're not allowed to share money or items between them. So I don't see why that wouldn't work here.

Allow players the option of up to two or three characters on one account.

No sharing of money between the characters.

You cannot pod one of your own characters.

If two characters are in the same sector, neither one will defend the other if one is attacked.

I dunno about alliances though, I think that would make it too easy for people to use a second or third character as a spy in another alliance.
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

if i were to go for this i would say one more account,plus nariis a person can give money to somene else to give to there multi
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
Nariis

Post by Nariis »

I thought about that too. Not sure how you'd get around that one. Maybe you can transfer money, but the character cannot be under newbie turns to collect it? Dunno how well that would work.

Along with that idea, what about this one? Just to make things a little more different. On the login page, when you select your name and race, how about selecting whether or not you want to be a Council Enforcer, a normal player, or a pirate? Each one would have their own range of alignment much as it is now, but the Enforcers would also have their own trade goods that they can use.

Normal players would have the opportunity to become an Enforcer or a Pirate during the course of gameplay..we'd have to even out how alignment will rise or fall for that. Maybe take the alignment off of the trading and have it count on the fighting. If you're neutral and you kill a pirate, that's +5. If you kill an Enforcer, it's -5, neutral 0. Same goes for the Enforcer. +5 if you kill a Pirate, 0 if you kill a neutral, and -5 if you kill another enforcer. Reverse if you're a pirate.

Just an off the wall idea.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

see it that way:
we tried to regulate usage for accounts that are the same ip (mostly multis) we couldn't. too much trouble. so they just going to continue to use their multis as normal.
but with a 'legalized' multi we can define the rule. say no chars of same account can interact or whatever.
sure. a few will still create real multis, but i would guess it would be just a very small amount.
main purpose that new players have is to start over because they made some mistake (they think)
we usually deny such things and they stop playing. with that feature we give them a choice (as matrix would call it) but this choice is just an illusion if you really think about it.

the philosophic ONE
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

No interacting means that they can't be in same alliance which means that there will be way too much spying. Forcing them to be in the same alliance would lead to some other problems
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

I personally don't like the idea. Blum makes too much sense on this one :P There will be spying issues and people will still find ways to abuse the system, only problem is that now it will be easier to do with allowing people to actually create multi's.

Maybe it would be better to allow people to restart their character from scratch at the beginning of a game but only within their first 1000 turns or something.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

People will say its unfair that they can scout and then go trade with another user....

First its not unfair if EVERYONE can do it.

Next maybe make it so they are ranked by total exp of all the chars

maybe if make it so that every character depends on the other...so if you only have 1 good trader he suffers since you have 2 bad traders....or something like that.

Also there would need to be someway to ensure that they can not support each other a lot (ie sending more) I think having all chars somehow connected does that

Next about spying....make it so that under search for trader screen you can see who the other caracters for that account are in that game...that way if you see that he is in a rival alliance you don't let him in
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

Then the problem with that is that you have the people with a more time being rewarded. A lot of people still do like it the way it is because they don't have time to play a bunch. Making it legal to have two players effectively doubles the time that you have to spend to play both characters. Then why not just bump up the game speed?

I don't know about you but I think the last thing we need to three Mar type characters or three DW characters or whatever running around podding people giving him 3 times the amount that they are now. :P
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

id rather see us jsut give out more turns
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team