multiple character

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

just had an idea:
we could make it so that you have to set an active character. only this char would receive turns. you can change that flag to any other char you own than this guy would receive the turns. that way it will be harder.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: multiple character

Post by RCK »

This one is for seldum :)

But I think it warrants further discussion.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

My idea would be to allow 1 normal and 1 trader only. Restrict the "trader" to only buying trade ships and from entering planet gal or from joining alliances. To prevent arranged kills could prevent members of the main characters alliance from shooting the trader and set a limit of deaths for the trader.

This would increase activity in racials which can get pretty low quickly in a game. This would also be beneficial to another idea I think would be good in having a very small alliance cap. The main player would gain nothing more than money and some practice trading / dodging hunters. The biggest problem I could see developing would be alliances attempting to create large routes in racials and mining of racials to counter this we could set very short expiry times for any mines in racials ( which should be the case always).

I know Page has said this would be difficult to code. Would probably require a very large rewrite. The only other arguments against it Ive heard is that it gives the people with more time to play an advantage however I believe that activity should be encouraged as much as possible. The current system is either trade once a day and sit for 24 hours / trade every other day and sit for 48 hours or sit for 3 days waiting to OP. This is something that needs to change, other successful games such as Torn City are tailored for daily activity at a minimum and allow for more play depending on available time and commitment.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

I suppose under the circumstances of only being in racials and non-planet neutrals and restricted to trade ships, I could agree to this as it would promote activity.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Not a bad idea, although it would certainly create an inflationary environment. I do like the idea of being able to swap from my trader to my hunter, although I see big potential for abuse. Would you be able to log on to both at once? How do you make sure people are only creating one multi?
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

It would need to be linked to the same account like, if you play MMOs, you can create multiple characters on the same account, most of them have limits like 4-6 we will just have 2.

However 1 would think about these restrictions on the 2nd character
a.) only allowing them to buy tradeships
b.)making them unable to join alliances
c.)showing the other character's name of the same account
d.)unable to enter planet galaxies
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

This will add to in-game inflation, if you guys care about that sort of thing.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

I would rather allow them to have 2 ships, 1 trade and 1 warbird and force them to use the same amount of turns. This would give them the flexibility of both without having to deal with multis, limiting which char can go where, and such.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Grey Death wrote:I would rather allow them to have 2 ships, 1 trade and 1 warbird and force them to use the same amount of turns. This would give them the flexibility of both without having to deal with multis, limiting which char can go where, and such.
Each ship has its own max turns or they share?
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Yes, they would share the same turns.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General