SMR2 -> Mines

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

I just love having poeple who have been around for a while on the team that dont know even the general concepts of the ideas we're working on. Maybe you should grace us with your pressense occasionally freon, you know, when you got a spare moment
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Careful OR, this is how flaming gets started. I don't need or want any sarcasm from you or anyone else. So before I start building more flame on your post I will stop.

So reading through your post I see that you are saying that I still don't understand the concept of your mine net idea. Well I am trying and am trying to keep an open mind. So would you be so kind and explain it in detail for me. How after you have explained it in detail, if I am the only one here that still doesn't understand this mine net concept of your then, I will go into the Usergroups options and will remove myself from Game Concepts. Sent I don't think I will beable to help any. But if I am not the only one that doesn't understand it then what makes you think that all the other players that makes up SMR is going to understand it. And as for my spare time, I don't have alot of it most of my time is use in runing a business.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

join chat and one of us will explain it
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

OmegaRenegade wrote:join chat and one of us will explain it
What is the purpose of this board "Game Concepts" if nothing is put here, if its all in a chat room. Sorry but I don't live at my computer and sit in a chat room all day. But what I will try to do is I will log this computer into the chat room and will save the logs and read them when I can. But this is a ;) poor way of doing thing.
Tulayrk
Quiet One

Post by Tulayrk »

The problem with getting all of your information through Game Concepts is that if you have a question, it might take some time to answer it, and during the interim you're left to think and worry about other things, so you never really get an opportunity to think through a concept.

Talking about it in chat (provided someone who knows what's going on is around) is a much better way to get brought up to speed because the information you get is tailored specifically to the questions and/or concerns that you have. It doesn't require spending all day in front of the computer; it just involves hooking up with someone who knows what you need to and spend a few minutes hammering it out.

Game Concepts is a way of condensing this information to those who are reasonably aware of recent developments so that the relative merits of people's ideas can be weighed and discussed without necessarily having 8+ people in chat.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Like I said I will log my computer into the chat and read the logs when I can. In the mean time I have read every post in the five pages here. It covers Platforms, mine pods, mine nets, portable nets, string pods. And no one is going to like what I say here but Sterlings is the best. Easy changes in the mines.

Change price of mines.
Change the amount of turns lose to mines.
Change the expire time of mines.

Its simple, sweet, and easy to do. But the most important thing is it can be ajusted.

How I know the first thing said here is we don't want a simple change, but I tell you sometime the simple change is the best. So unless you can show were one of these other ideas are better then the simple idea I agree with Sterling on the mines.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

All those things are fine and good, but ask yourself how much cash rein had last game? now ask yourself how much more they could have had if they had need? changing the price of mines will hurt the new and small way before it causes a big alliance any ounce of greif when making a large field. And expire times may solve the single problem, but an alliance can make any sized mine field it wants, as long as a 50 stack lasts more than a few hours it really wont affect anything in the long run

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

First separate the mines expire time from the scouts and combat drones. Because scouts and CDs are passive forces in they don't attack you unless you attack them.

Mine price $ 20,000 per mine.

Racials and Neutrals galaxys
1 to 5 mines = 1 hour expire time with no turn lost
6 to 11 mines = 6 hour expire time with three turn lost
12 to 25 mines = 24 hours expire time with three turn lost
26 to 50 mines = 3 days expire time with three turn lost

Planet galaxys
Same at it is now

You can say that increasing the mine cost will hurt the small alliances well it won't. The small alliances don't have large mine fields and only use mines for hunting, trading, and in OPs. If they have enough members then they are not a small alliance. You can also say that the big alliance can afford the increase price in mines and you are right. But it would mean less money for ship and weapon replacements. Also with the decrease in expire time they will have to have twice as many miners to maintain any type of a large mine field outside of their planet galaxy.

Last the way that mines are able to hit you should be changed if a sector is 100 miles or 100 light years large then it should be.

1 mine = 1 in 100 chance of hitting you when you enter the sector. If you use other then the green sector then its still 1 in 100 chance of hitting you again.

50 mine = 50 in 100 chance of hitting you.

200 mines = 200 in 100 chance of hitting you.

Randomize
hit = (Rnd() * 100) < number_of_mines_in_sector
If hit = true then
calculate how many hit you
else false
show screen
You just missed some mines.
end if

If you are not hit by a mine then no turn lost.

You can even put the pilots level into the code if you want so that high level pilots have even a less chance of hitting mines.

As far as how many mines hit you well I don’t see anything wrong with the way the amount is calculated now.

When hunters use mines they are not trying to pod you with the mines, they are just trying to stop you long enough so they can attack. So a hunter using a single mine will still stop you long enough so he can get his attack. Alliances use mines to stop you or to slow you down and eat up your turns when you are coming into their galaxy for an attack. This will still let them use mines the same way.

Mines are a major part of the game, they force you to plan how you attack others and they force you to plan your defends. The point I am making here is you can do so much with the mines now to solve the problems of large mine fields.
Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

I think we decided that we don't necessarily want to distinguish between planet galaxies and neutral galaxies.

EDIT: but I think Freon has some very good points there.
Last edited by Travdan on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

yeah we did since that limits layouts