SMR2 -> Mines

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

We have all talked about how turns used to attack a force stack should not always be 3. I think Ardbeg's formula (at least something similar to it):

http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=4710

would be a great starting point. If we wanted, we could make the turns used to attack also variable, as well as make it depend on sector exits.

But like I said there, no matter what else is implemented, something like this must be included.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Yes I like Ardbeg's formula also. Using the MR rating is a good idea, this would fit in with the ship classes that you guys are working on.

The old formula based on how many exits there are in that sector, never worked and the fact that single mines have been a problem for years is proof of that.
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Alter it so it scales more sharply downward as mines decrease. Wonder why it never occured to everyone to use manuv in mines.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

So what does everyone think about Ardbeg idea on using the MR rating of the ship to determine if you hit a mine when entering a sector? I like the idea with one change. Ardbeg idea is to use the largest stack as the one to be used in the code. So if you had 4 stacks and each one had 25 mines that would be 100 mines in the sector. With Ardbeg idea only 25 mines would be used in the code. I think that all mines should be used, so if there is 5 stacks of 10 mines each then the code would use 50 mines. If there is only 1 mine in the sector then it uses 1 mine in the code. This would make it more fair, so if an alliance is trying to mine an area and only starts off by puting 10 stacks with 5 mines each the code would see 50 mines instead of only seeing 5 mines.
RedDragon
Quiet One

Post by RedDragon »

Not sure if that is good. In a sector you have the possibility of 1500 mines. Could I get hit by 1500 - more deadly than a planet...
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

No No you don't understand. How many mines that you hit is a different code then the one determines if you did hit "mines". The code now use how many exits there are in the sector to determine if you hit "mines" true/false. If true then the code that determines how many mines you did hit is used. In Ardbeg idea instead of using exits to determine the true/false of if you did hit any. He uses the MR rating of the ship and the largest stack to find the true/false did I hit any? Then the code that determines how many you did hit is used. The reason I don't like using the largest stack is that if you have 10 stacks of 10 mines, his code would make that 100 mine sector weaker then it should be. That is why I said I like his idea but with the one change. Because all we really want to do is cut down on your chances of hitting small groups of mines. Small groups being 1 to 5 mines, so if you don't hit any you would not lose three turns and would not lose any shields.

Someone else said something about making it so that if you are under newbie turns and there are mines in the sector you should not lose any turns because you didn't hit any. The problem I see with this is if you are under newbie then you could go into any planet galaxy and record all the information about every planet in that galaxy.

With Ardbeg ideal it makes no different if you are under newbie or not. The code runs if its true then you hit mines and lose three turns, but if you are under newbie turns and its true then you would still lose three turns but have no damage. This would keep players from using newbies turns to bypass the mines.
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

I'm fine with it as long as lower mine stacks drain lower turns as well.
RandyOrsolo
Admin Emeritus

Post by RandyOrsolo »

Attempting to get some discussion going in this forum again (since it really set me off when Spock said that "nothing" was going on, it's true and I don't like that). These seem to be the main points.

1) Decrease the turn cost for hitting smaller stacks (Spock's suggesting it ranges from 0-3, I agree with that). This seems to have a fairly strong consensous.

2) Increase in mine cost...debatable whether that'll really change anything long-term if the structure of mines isn't done right.

3) Mine refresh times.... we shouldn't need to distinguish between galaxies and certain game layouts when talking about refresh times - has to be the same everywhere.

4) Ardbeg's suggestion about manuevrability and mines (http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=4710). Looks promising.

My half-witted thought:

Have mines do less damage when attacked directly then when "hit" upon entering a sector. This would encourage the use of clearing ships, and give manueverable ships a chance to be good mine clearers as well, and might reduce a minefield's overall effectiveness.

Also, for the love of god, when a certain ship attacks forces, HAVE THE FORCES GO AFTER THAT SHIP. This mgiht be something better addressed in combat coding, tho...

Anyone still around in here? :)
What, you want something witty?
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

I'm still here and I agree with all that.

Another thing Id like to see is...

mine containers

I know what you all are saying and I dont mean that kind, all I mean is that when passing thru your own alliances forces they are "collapsed" somehow into one stack that can be expanded to show all the stacks.

I think this would cut down on lag an load times somewhat, wouldnt affect functionality if done right, and is more of a cosmetic change than anything else
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

RandyOrsolo wrote:4) Ardbeg's suggestion about manuevrability and mines (http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=4710). Looks promising.
I like Ardbeg's idea also but one thing I don't like on his idea. Is the largest stack is the one that is used in the forumla. This is a problem because if an alliance has 5 stacks of 10 mines each, the forumla only uses 10 in the code. Were if there is one stack of 50 mines then the forumla will use 50 in the code. Both sectors would have the same amount of mines but the code will use a different number in each.
OmegaRenegade wrote:mine containers

I know what you all are saying and I dont mean that kind, all I mean is that when passing thru your own alliances forces they are "collapsed" somehow into one stack that can be expanded to show all the stacks.
Good idea OR, I have seem many sites that have collapsed lines with a + so when you click the + the line is expanded.