SMR2 -> Quest/Missions

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

something like that was already suggested. it goes along the agents stuff. they could sit in bars, why not. would give them a meaning.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I do like this idea. Missions could be designed and tailored to both single players and groups and for levels of experience. Some examples --

Solo missions:
transport ambassadors from planet A to planet B, get 5 million credits and 5k exp.
deliver special cargo from port A to port B, get 5 million credits and 2k exp.
locate and kill NPC, get 10 million credits and 8k exp.

Group missions:
Raid different level ports for bonus cash and exp paid on completion.
Special port raid to gain a rare item that must be delivered to planet A to receive cash and exp.
Attack planets similiarly for special items, bonus cash and exp.
President and 3 top council seats: cash and exp bonus
Find and destroy NPC enemy fleets for bonus cash and exp.
that which pods you makes you stronger
TahKillahz
Beta Tester

Post by TahKillahz »

good idea
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Sounds good.. though the group things would be intererting... specialy on the exp side of things... maybe based on how many ppl you have doing the quest.. I dont know.. my brain is fried from my exam this morning :P
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: SMR2 -> Quest/Missions

Post by RCK »

Requires some more discussion/refinement on specifics.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: SMR2 -> Quest/Missions

Post by jouldax »

I think this would definitely spice up the game, and I'd add something you (RCK) and I talked about, that I know Page is going to hate, which is the concept of random events.

For example, you enter a sector in random space and are met with a screen that sets a scenario: you come across the floating debris of a trading ship. A weak distress signal still emanates near the remains of the cockpit. Will you investigate?

If you click yes, one of two options occurs: you manage to save the trader from imminent doom. For your bravery, the pilot rewards you with 3 million credits!

OR

As you approach the debris, you are ambushed by bandits! Half your credits are taken, but you are allowed to leave with your ship and your life.

Of course, the % would heavily favor a positive outcome, but it's always nice to have a negative possibility as well.

You may also elect not to participate in the event (fly on by) which simply returns you to the sector screen. We'd have to figure out how often these "events" would occur and if we want to have the ability to turn them off (if you're hunting, they could be an impediment), but I think it adds some fun to the game.

As for the original topic - you could add mission/quest givers at each of the ports and fed hqs. Alignment should impact the type of quest you're given (raid a port, smuggle goods to another port vs. bring high end supplies to aid a port or defend a port against attack) and you should make the level of quest random (for example, a random level 1 port might actually offer a very lucrative quest - makes it worthwhile to go to lesser traveled areas).