Combat Idea

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Combat Idea

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:how is an ATM going to be able to get any kills with this change
Uhhh, first thing that comes to mind is, wtf is an ATM doing trying to get kills anyway? :P At best it's a damage soaker.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

ATM could get kills, just team up with another alliance member that hits harder.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
JettJackson wrote:how is an ATM going to be able to get any kills with this change
Uhhh, first thing that comes to mind is, wtf is an ATM doing trying to get kills anyway? :P At best it's a damage soaker.
2 weapons and 100 drones it takes some luck but we cant denounce the fact that it happens
RCK wrote:ATM could get kills, just team up with another alliance member that hits harder.
we are talking about fleet combat here in this respect not hunting. in which case the ATM would be targeted every single time in a 2v1 by the 1 because the 1 could kill the ATM before dying. Like I said on last page, it hurts weaker ships to change the combat.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

if your argument is now solely based on Trade Masters wont get kills or wont fare well in combat then I think you are not helping your cause. Will smaller ships be targeted more? Yes, thats called strategy something that has been lacking from this game lately.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

seldum wrote:if your argument is now solely based on Trade Masters wont get kills or wont fare well in combat then I think you are not helping your cause. Will smaller ships be targeted more? Yes, thats called strategy something that has been lacking from this game lately.
This.

I think one of the strengths of the new combat system allows a player in a 2v1 gank fest to possibly come away with a kill if they're smart enough to trigger the right ship (say one of them is a BC).

I've been going back and forth on the overall change, with my primary concern besides the fleet parking issue relating to the skill disparity in SMR. I really do want the game to include more active combat and skill based fighting, I just get worried that alliances of faster/more skilled players will just trounce the competition more than they already are. With that said, I am still leaning more in favor of implementing the change.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Based on my 2 line discussion with page... the change is simple enough, nothing saying we couldnt run a round with the new combat then tweak it if it doesnt work out.
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

RCK wrote:Based on my 2 line discussion with page... the change is simple enough, nothing saying we couldnt run a round with the new combat then tweak it if it doesnt work out.
The problem with this. If it doesnt work, you have 2 months of a round no one wants to play. Player retention when the new round starts is down from that round. We need to grow, not recess. Test it first in smaller games like semi wars and race wars. Or run a large risk of hurting the player base if its unsucessful.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

It would be tested in beta first.