Long Range Missiles

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Re: Long Range Missiles

Post by B.O.B. »

Freon22 wrote:
Harry Krishna wrote: Atomc missiles that detonate no matter if hitting mines, being destroyed by ships, or reaching it's destination, will cause major damage to everything in the sector, something like 10,000-20,000 points damage.
Totally new idea, way to go HK. Lets see a level 70 planet takes 16,000 damage points to bust it. 10,000 of those points are the shields, so being fair this missile should have a max yield of 12,000 damage points. Unless you would want to do something like a random of 6,000 to 16,000 damage.

Another thing I don’t think very many missiles will reach their target. Mostly because of the mine fields, isn’t the sectors around planets like 20 stacks of 50 mines?
A lvl 70 takes 68,000 damage if I'm not mistaken (10k shields * 5 + 2k drones * 9). So a missile that does 10k damage would only do about 2k shields on a planet. Unless you want the missile to bypass the 5 multiplier...
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

HK should quit the game more often... :D
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

umm i dont know if i like that drastic of a change. If you implemented this then you would need a counter measure..like an anti missile launcher on planets or something. You are just encouraging the use of MORE mines which i dont like at all
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Thennian wrote:umm i dont know if i like that drastic of a change. If you implemented this then you would need a counter measure..like an anti missile launcher on planets or something. You are just encouraging the use of MORE mines which i dont like at all
Mines have little effect on the missile with its advanced targetting system, so I don't see a problem there. The chance of detonation in mines isn't really a factor until you are talking 20 stacks of 50 mines, and even then it's a small chance of setting it off.

The main counter measure would be to scramble your warbirds to try to detonate it before it hits the target. The missile moves one sector per minute or something like that...depending on how wide your scout network is, it would be detected about 20 minutes before impact.

Or perhaps following Thennian's point, there could be anti-missile constructions on a planet, costing about as much as it would be to make the missile (limiting an alliance to picking one or the other per planet). The anti-missile units could potentially detonate the missile one sector outside the planet sector or reduce damage to zero for planet...something like that. Nice idea, Thenn :)
that which pods you makes you stronger
DragonLancer
Quiet One

Post by DragonLancer »

but if you spend 500 mil on a missle wouldt you want more than 1 sector cleared? why not make it able to expand clearing a little bit of every sector touching it........less damage when it crosses warps....make the direct hit make the brunt of the damage so you CAN aim it a planet or port...but then this could be used as a precurser to a major PB...since you just launch one of these bad boys at the warp and bang...its clear and ready for you fleet to come
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

well obviously all you need to do is hold a clearing OP and launch your missile half way through..it just gollows you in and do what you dont have the turns to do..it would be alot of fun =) keeping ahead of your own missile so it hits its target while also fighting off defenders and making sure no mines are in it path heh
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Erm, can we build effective space wars programs too in order to defend against the missles?
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
z-money
Quiet One

Post by z-money »

well if the defense against missles is too easy to build and too effective, the whole idea is pointless because it would just be a waste of 500 mil. HK's idea is good as it has been stated.

if you want to add another major factor, you could offer a defense system that is correspondingly as expensive (200 - 300 mil) and is 100% effective within a certain range of the planet on which it's built. however, it would be a sunk cost if the missle struck outside that certain range, so you'd have to be smart about where you place your defense.

i think the biggest danger with something like this is that the entire strategy of major alliances could change so that it becomes all about missiles. I'd hate to see the game turn into "which alliance uses missiles most effectively". hopefully the use and implementation could be limited effectively enough to prevent such a situation, but it has to be taken into consideration
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

I think missiles should somehow affect the connecting sectors as well..maybe depending on how many exits there are....example..

shooting a missile at a sector with 4 connecting sectors, the missile does 4000 to the target sector, and 500 to each connecting sector (1/8 to each one)

2 connecting sectors, 1/4 damage, so 1000 to each sector, 1 connecting sector, 1/2 damage...so 2000 the the connecting sector.

Also, what if we made the missiles a high risk investment similar to bonds... I don't know exactly what this would entail but here are some ideas...The alliance that is building the missile cannot stop construction, or they can but they do not get back the 500 million that they have spent on it. Whereas an alliance taking over the planet, can cancel the missile and take the 500 mil, but only has a 10 or 15 minute window immediately after destroying the planets defenses...

Or... We could even make it somehow so the attacking alliance can take the missile for their own if they have an level 70 with room for it and the missile is already complete...OR..if they missile is half done.. they can take it where it is,and begin process on it on their planet, paying half of the cost, and it taking half of the time as building a full missile..Not sure how would be able to explain them being able to take an entire missile across the universe...but the idea could be reworked....maybe could require 300 cargo holds?? Maybe the ship carrying it would have it's TPH reduced incredibly for the time being? Maybe even if the ship carrying it is destroyed the missile is detonated?? I dont know..I dont even know if I like all these ideas...just trying to fire off suggestions.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

I have to agree with Z-$ on this. It would take a lot out of the game if the major objective was get rich, build lots of missiles, spam missles at enemy.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?