Military Barricades and other stuff

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Weasel_6768
Quiet One

Post by Weasel_6768 »

I see what Kathless is saying. All the skirmishes I have been in recently have revolved around groups of 2-4 ships clearing each others warps and galaxies. Makes for some interesting play but a barrier would prevent that from happening. And who would bother mining outside their galaxy with a barrier that would take a large OP to break through? Just a thought.
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

I would mine outside the galaxy to drain the turns of people trying to get into my galaxy to blow up the barricade. The issue has already been addressed..make it so that only certain sectors can have barricades.

And its funny Kah that you don't care about the minorities when it comes to the delay..but you seem to care when it comes to the minorities in regards to the barricades. This idea would effect maybe 3 people tops. Whereas the delay would effect everyone.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

How can you say this affects 3 people tops? This idea could potentially affect every single person who plays in an alliance which is involved in a turf war, if it is implemented in a poor way. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea, but i dont like the idea of this replacing mines because this kills yet another part of the game.

No more solo clearers, no more skirmishes of 3-4 people, Fed ships become ;)-poor galaxy clearing tools. Yes we should encourage team play, but we should not make team play the only way to play. It gets back to my point about sporatic activity. I think sporatic activity is a big issue.

I take you back to my suggestion to modify this idea, make this so its an addition to a planet or a port. Alliances could place these in sectors with planets and/or ports and when you attack a planet/port, there is a barricade you have to shoot through before you can start damaging said port/planet. While the barricade is in place, a fleet does not take damage from planet/port and planet/port does not take damage from fleet. This way it serves its purpose in slowing fleets down when they are PB'ing without causing issues like killing small group play.
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Thennian wrote:..make it so that only certain sectors can have barricades.
Like Warp Sectors.

Also please stay on topic. The delay argument does not belong in this thread.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I don't think mines would go away with this idea, but they would be used less often for galactic defense. This idea offers an alternative to putting 25 stacks of 50/50/5 on your warp and have that be your only option.

As I said earlier, you might see these barricades be the outer defenses like a wall behind which mines are still used. They could also be the final defense to get through once you've cleared mines.

I would like to see them be able to be placed in any sector that isn't a location. I would like to see them be strong enough to be a barrier but not so strong that they are impassable. The expense and effort of building them will ensure that they aren't always big and strong, and aren't littered everywhere in the universe. Adding functionality that lets the owner pick which exits people can pass through, maybe charge a fee for passage, opens up alot of different play scenarios.

And as with mines now, if you don't like the barricade and want to get through you organize and blow it up. We can talk about balance of strength once the idea become a coding reality. For now, lets keep the discussion focussed on how it might work with the understanding that it will need to be balanced later.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

to solve the problem of not being able to go in and single clear, what about this....Cloaks can get through them.

Its not very well thought about, but a baracade is a barrier, and if ally vessels can get through, then any enemy vessels that can manage it can sneak through, its just like getting behind enemy lines....VERY dangerous, but not impossible.

I say cloakers just because they can be hidden, and are most able to get past defenses. It would be useless because for the most part, alot of cloaked ships aren't that great for clearing, but it would be a way to get in, and add a little bit more to the idea.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Baalzamon wrote:to solve the problem of not being able to go in and single clear, what about this....Cloaks can get through them.

Its not very well thought about, but a baracade is a barrier, and if ally vessels can get through, then any enemy vessels that can manage it can sneak through, its just like getting behind enemy lines....VERY dangerous, but not impossible.

I say cloakers just because they can be hidden, and are most able to get past defenses. It would be useless because for the most part, alot of cloaked ships aren't that great for clearing, but it would be a way to get in, and add a little bit more to the idea.
yeah, because cloaks are so weak that they need another advantage. [/end sarcasm]
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

You could allways jump over the barricades.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

Honestly, i don't see how a warp barracade on a warp would normally survive or grow to be very big...... a warp is usually a place where lots of fights goes down, why would an alliance let their enemy build one on a warp???.... and... if they do, why not take it over and own that barracade for themselves??? (how i see it working anyways)

Also, the game is about interactivity, clearing mines with no one online is not interactive at all........ so, i could care less if that activity is eliminated, even though i honestly don't think it would be...
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Military Barricades and other stuff

Post by JettJackson »

requires more discussion though this is like the citadel thing too...
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all