Military Barricades and other stuff

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

i say make them so its an effort to bust, but not so strong that it kills people, maybe like a port or a planet that doesnt fire back but needs to be busted to procede
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Comparing the barricades to level 9 ports is probably exaggerating what I had in mind.

Low level barricades should be tough enough to hold back a single ship, but a few ships could easily disable it. High level barricades would require more ships to disable, but the effort shouldn't drain the turns needed to attack a galaxy.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

could be possible to even let the attacking team take control of such barricade as well. what once helped your alliance can turn around to hurt you after it is damaged and new owners take it.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

1) its already hard enough to bust a fully armed lvl 70 planet
2) it will make it practicly IMPOSSIBLE to bust a lvl 70 when adding the defense of a lvl 9 port.
ImageImage
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

busting 70s isnt that hard just look at crus 2 in 24 hours
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

seldum wrote:busting 70s isnt that hard just look at crus 2 in 24 hours
look how much money they used and how many pods they took.

all im saying is that right now with our player base, it will be practicly inpossible busting the planets then, but hey from a year from now, if we double our size, then it might be doable.
ImageImage
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Poca wrote:1) its already hard enough to bust a fully armed lvl 70 planet
2) it will make it practicly IMPOSSIBLE to bust a lvl 70 when adding the defense of a lvl 9 port.
Who says you have to do it all in one op? Clear the defenses one day, take the planet the next. If someone puts a lot of work into defense, it should take a lot of work to defeat those defenses.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

This is my take on the barricade idea. If done right it will be one of the best update in SMR. Because it will make mines for the most part obsolete, that in itself makes it worth doing.

Mine fields in your planet galaxy is not used to pod the attackers. It is nice when one of them makes a mistake and gets him or herself poded. But all in all a mine field is used to deplete the attackers turns. I think the barricade should be used in the same matter. It should not be something that an attacking alliance has to worry about in taking pods. That is unless someone makes a mistake as in mine fields.

Now my feeling is you should be able to enter a sector that has a barricade in it without recieving damage. If you attack the barricade or try to pass through it then you will take damage.

To add some fun to the barricade I think there should be a small 2% chance that if you try to pass through it you can. Would it not be a big surprise to the one that did get through to find that he/she can't get back out. lol

Anyway the barricade idea is good and SMR should think about working on it to balance its for use in the game.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

On average a level 70 bust takes a lot of planning and costs 250 million in cash start to finish including ships, UNO, CA, and bar tab. It isn't easy. The fact that we did 2 in two nights had alot to do with the fast game speed and the level of defenses stocked on the planets we were hitting.

Still, Ardbeg is right in that it could and maybe SHOULD take more than 1 OP to invade a galaxy. An alliance who spends weeks building a defense shouldn't see that defense destroyed in 20 minutes. That is what happens now with mines and it sucks when it happens to you.

I agree with Freon22 for the most part on his take. Here's more detail on how I see it working. Sorry it's so long to read...

Barricades are passive unless attacked. You can enter the sector with the barricade, can examine it.

Mines would not be allowed in a barricade sector.

Barricades will be "friendly" or "enemy" in nature. You can only attack enemy barricades.

The disposition of the barricade would be set by the owner, to allow passage through the sector by:
a) "friendly" individual players (names entered on a list or drop down selection),
b) friendly alliance names (names entered on a list or drop down selection),
c) all players

The owner's alliance mates can always pass through.

Players attempting to pass beyond the barricaded sector would get a simple warning message: The barricade will not allow you to go that way! They can back out of the sector via green exit without warning.

The barricade could act as a scout and send an alliance-wide message that the sector was entered by a non-alliance player. When attacked, the barricade woud definitely send an alert message to all alliance members.

Passage through the sector would be controlled by the barricade. It might be possible to control which exits are available to friendly players. Potentially you could have "toll" barricades that would allow entry if you pay a fee.

Attacking a barricade would be an action taken by an enemy player. The barricades defenses would return fire, combat would take place similar to what we are familiar with.

Once the barricade's defenses are destroyed it no longer blocks the sector. Low level barricades would disappear completely and need to be started over from scratch. Higher level barricades would remain in the sector as defenseless low level barricades which could be rebuilt. I like the idea of taking over ownership of a barricade once it is destroyed.
that which pods you makes you stronger
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

i do see this baraquade working, but i still think that this would mean making faster games such as a 1.5x, 1.75x or a 2x.
ImageImage