Military Barricades and other stuff

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Military Barricades and other stuff

Post by Harry Krishna »

This idea is a bit complex since it encompasses changes to both planets and mining, but I'll try to be brief as possible. The main idea is to provide an alternative to using minefields for galaxy defense. If done right, this could eliminate single mining and also the vast stacks of mines.

Military barricades are constructions. They can effectively block traffic through a sector. They can be attacked and have different level of increasing strength and defense. They start out as level 1 structures with no weapons. Fully developed they have defenses similar to level 9 ports.

It takes supplies, lots of money, and time to build barricades. Some of these supplies are special and can only be obtained from planets that are level 30 or higher. Level 30+ planets begin to produce steel, polyurethane, and other materials necessary for building the barricades. This could open up whole new areas of trade in the game as those with level 30 planets offer their goods for sale.

The barricades are owned by individual players, those that originally start the construction. There are controls inside where the owner can set the barricade to allow all players through, or only select alliances or individuals. The owner's alliance mates can always pass through.

Mines would be different. As mentioned in another thread they could either be active for an hour then go passive, or they could be set one way or the other when they are dropped. This way they could still be used for seeding a minefield, but more often used by hunters and traders.

Depending on how it develops, minefields might become less used for galactic defense by the big alliances, or perhaps only as an outer line of defense. Or maybe barricades would become the outer wall behind which mines would still be placed. Or some combination. Because mines would still be cheaper, they would remain common for the smaller alliances with less resources.
that which pods you makes you stronger
kerkem
Quiet One

Post by kerkem »

i love it
Kerkem
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Me too :D
Use The Force(s)!
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Military Barricades and other stuff

Post by DarthNihilus »

Harry Krishna wrote:This idea is a bit complex since it encompasses changes to both planets and mining, but I'll try to be brief as possible. The main idea is to provide an alternative to using minefields for galaxy defense. If done right, this could eliminate single mining and also the vast stacks of mines.

Military barricades are constructions. They can effectively block traffic through a sector. They can be attacked and have different level of increasing strength and defense. They start out as level 1 structures with no weapons. Fully developed they have defenses similar to level 9 ports.

It takes supplies, lots of money, and time to build barricades. Some of these supplies are special and can only be obtained from planets that are level 30 or higher. Level 30+ planets begin to produce steel, polyurethane, and other materials necessary for building the barricades. This could open up whole new areas of trade in the game as those with level 30 planets offer their goods for sale.

The barricades are owned by individual players, those that originally start the construction. There are controls inside where the owner can set the barricade to allow all players through, or only select alliances or individuals. The owner's alliance mates can always pass through.

Mines would be different. As mentioned in another thread they could either be active for an hour then go passive, or they could be set one way or the other when they are dropped. This way they could still be used for seeding a minefield, but more often used by hunters and traders.

Depending on how it develops, minefields might become less used for galactic defense by the big alliances, or perhaps only as an outer line of defense. Or maybe barricades would become the outer wall behind which mines would still be placed. Or some combination. Because mines would still be cheaper, they would remain common for the smaller alliances with less resources.
Kinda reminds me of that web the Enterprise got traped in in one of the Original Episodes. I think I was call Theolsioan Web or something like that.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Auction / Marketplace

Post by Harry Krishna »

*edit* wrong thread
canff
Beta Tester

Post by canff »

would deff help open things up more....add somethign new..
Sivarticusiii
Quiet One

Post by Sivarticusiii »

Good idea :)

Would add more elements to PB, and Ops in general.
==Pod. It's what's for dinner.==
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

so these baraquades at like attacked to the planet? and just help defend the planet even more?
ImageImage
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I think that we wouldn't have mines and barricades in the same sector.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

if you want a barricade why not set up a group of ships to block an entrance, to me this seems like the lazy mans defense to an op, if you cant counter the op on your own then you shouldnt be able to have a 'blockade' do it for you
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all