Military Barricades and other stuff

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Poca wrote:i do see this baraquade working, but i still think that this would mean making faster games such as a 1.5x, 1.75x or a 2x.
You just want faster games no matter what :P

The way the game is now, everything is geared to the 1x speed. Barricades should be designed with that in mind (unless that basic design is changed) and be planned accordingly. As the game speed increases, barricade behavior would adjust as well.
that which pods you makes you stronger
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

2 Questions:

How does the barricade work?

Does it act as a physical barrier?

My thoughts: In Star Wars the Empire they have these huge Interdictor Cruisers. Which is basically a ship with gravity well projectors that snage ships and keeps them there. Maybe they could work off that pricipal of gravity wells. But it would be like a station.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I have one major objection to this idea.

If say 1 or 2 people want to go clear some mines at the moment, they can. If with the baricades, 1 or 2 people want to go clear, they run into a barricade and are stopped dead. So the flow on effect would be more power to the "power in number" groups which people have expressed issues with. No longer could small groups of people cause havoc for alliances, instead they would need to get 10 people together, further encouraging gang-banging (an issue?) etc.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

building on Kah's point, it also seems to say that bigger alliances will always win where smaller alliances have no chance at all...I know, I know, the bigger more established are the ones who know how to work well together, but it seems to me lately there's been a bigger push on getting new players to stick with the game. So say a new alliance comes along and decides to make a big bang in the game by busting up a vet alliance galaxy. The hit the barrier, and have to chance.....
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

If a single player enters a sector with 20 stacks of 50/50/5 how much damage will be done to him? I have seen sectors that was close to 30 stacks of 50/50/5 but 20 stacks is a better average. Ajust the barricade so it give out close to the same damage.

As far as a newbie alliance taking on a vet alliance well. I don't think a newbie alliance with new players would stand a chance against a well constructed mine field as it is now. So the point is mute.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Im not so much talking about newbie alliances. Im talking about the lone euro or aussie or night-shift american who plays when not many of his alliance mates are on. They may not want to hunt, or trade and there is nothing to fight, so they get a top racial and go clear their enemy in preperation for an OP a few days down the track. A barricade built like a lvl 9 port is impossible for a single person to get past no matter how fast or smart or good they are. So people who dont necessarily play at the major times will be limited in what they can do. Which is bad. Very bad.
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

well this barricade can only be created in planet galaxies, so the person could clear outside of the gal all the forces there. Make it so that only certain sectors can have barricades..like 2 exit sectors in planet galaxies..or maybe it has to be atleast 1 away from the warp.

No offense this game isnt meant to cater to 1 or 2 aussie players.
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

Not to sound like a little :D, but we wanted to cater for a small amount of very slow players by adding a delay, yet we say we don't want to consider the affects on another minority when it comes to a change which will cut out important and enjoyable aspects of the game solely based on the times you can play?

Im just saying i think we should be careful as to how these baricades will be implemented. If they are used as a replacement for mines then we cut out one strategy, force players to only work in groups which encourages sporatic activity, 10 people log on for 20mins, kill a couple of barricades and log off, then 24 hours later they do something else as opposed to how it is now where 1 person can login anytime and help out their alliance by clearing. And then 20mins later someone else does the same. So instead of forcing mass activity once every 24 hours, we need to be careful to allow for activity to be spread out.

Perhaps they could be implemented as part of the planet attack system. So when you attack a planet, before you can do damage to a planet (and before the planet can damage you) then barricade needs to come down.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Harry Krishna wrote:
Poca wrote:i do see this baraquade working, but i still think that this would mean making faster games such as a 1.5x, 1.75x or a 2x.
You just want faster games no matter what :P
hehe ill come out in the open

/me wants faster games such as a 1.75 or 1.5x's :D
ImageImage
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

You say a small number of players can login at off times and can clear mines.... yet... they can only do this because the opposing alliance has no one online to defend...
so...... you can't have barracades because then people who clear at odd times can't clear, but those people can only clear because they login at odd times... to me, that's kinda a catch 22 argument...

Any change in the game that promotes alliances forming is a good change... what keeps many of us in the game is the friends we meet in chat... so any idea that can promote the forming of more groups i think is a good one...

if the deadliness of a barracade was set out much like a planet.... so that one or two people could attack and defeat many levels of barracades, i think it could work, however i think the alliance who attacks the barrade should be able to take it over and control it... but of course it will have lost levels..