Ship Descriptions

New features that have been submitted via forum or in game that require more information, or further discussion.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Ship Descriptions

Post by Harry Krishna »

When you are at a ship dealer's location browsing through the list of ships they sell, currently you see a comparison of the ship stats (the one you're in vs the one you're looking at buying).

In addition to that, I'd like to see a text description of the ships when you click on each one along with a picture of it. Could be located to the upper right of the stats -- there's some open space there for it. This would give players some guidance as to what each ship does, what it's main purpose in the game is, so they could make better selections.

Examples:

Interstellar Trader
One of the most popular cargo ships available, the IST has everything the galactic trader needs to make a living flying on the space lanes. The basic model hauls a maximum 300 tons of cargo space, carries mines, combat drones, and scouts, is jump drive compatible. The IST has commercial grade armor plating and minimal shield coverage, but the lightened defenses give this ship a top speed that easily outruns the bigger freighters.

Assault Craft
The Thevian Assault Craft has a long history of raining death and destruction down on those ships unfortunate enough to find themselves within range of its guns. Produced exclusively by the Thevian ship yards, the TAC is one of the original capital class ships used to attack and defend successfully in countless alliance wars throughout recorded history. With the advent of the larger capital ships now used in modern warfare, the TAC has become somewhat obsolete. Still, with its class 3 military grade armor, high powered shield generators, standard 6 hard point array, and a very modest price tag, the Assault Craft is a good choice for pilots needing effective firepower while operating on a limited budget.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Ship Descriptions

Post by Page »

I like the idea but descriptions/pictures for all the ships is a lot of work and not something I personally would be able to do. I'd happily add them if available though.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Good idea HK. But an image of the ships that is another thing. I don't think SMR has any graphic designer that can produce ship images.

There is one guy that makes spaceships and he has a website that displays them all. His name is John Douglass, he is a nice guy and a years or so ago he gave me written permission to display his ships under his copyright. I maybe worth Spocks or Pages time to contact him to see if he will let SMR use his spaceship on SMRs website. He has about 150 or more spaceships anyway here is the address to his website click on his name to send him a email.

http://artships.com/
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Give me a few weeks...I can probably write up descriptions for most of the ships. I'll send them to Page. I will include suggested pics from that site, and Spock can get permission as needed to use them.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

I like this idea, if players are willing to help out with descriptions/pictures.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

HK did finish a list of ship descriptions for 1.5 or 2.0 or something, me and page have it.

see if i can find it I used it for the skant page of the wiki.
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

Great, I like all of this.

RCK-can you contact the guy and the see if we can get approval to use ship images for the game?
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Grey Death wrote:Great, I like all of this.

RCK-can you contact the guy and the see if we can get approval to use ship images for the game?
Already done, well sent a mail to Freon to see if he still talks to him. Though I have this memory of talking to John Douglas at some point cause he was playing around and showed me a dessy he designed... or at least someone showed me a 3d rendering of a SMR ship in the last 3 years anyway.