Mines/Planets suggestion and feasibility

Archive of rejected features. All features should have a reason for rejection.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Mines/Planets suggestion and feasibility

Post by JettJackson »

Mines and planets, I'd like to request that we turn back to the old style of firing with both of these, as it has been noted in previous couple of games people just don't build anymore and definitely don't mine. The reasoning is the weakness of planets and uselessness of mining due to the change in firing. Right now it is coded as such that if you hit mines or fire on mines, you would fire first then the mine:-S you, where as before the mine:-S first then the shooter shoots. This is a much more effective mine. As for planets the same principal right now the shooters shoot first and then the planet fires, and with an unlimited cap on how many can fire on planets, planets are just not getting big enough and in turn people are not fighting for territory anymore and games grow stale way too quickly. If you change it back to Planets firing first then the players fire on the planet then you would have tougher ops and territory fights like before.

Page you would know if this is a feasible change to the code or not. Either way I feel the game could benefit from territory fights like before, because the last few games grew stale too quickly because people were able to bust opponents too easily with little consequences. Also I know what people will say mines shouldn't be a means of defense, but planets and mines shouldn't easily bowled over like they are ISTs vs WBs.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Page
SMR Coder

Re: Mines/Planets suggestion and feasibility

Post by Page »

Ok, this innacuraccy has come up a lot of times, but when you walk into mines they are the ones who fire first, not the player! So the mines always get at least one chance to hit first (this has always been the case in 1.6, so it's not like it's changed recently).
Also the cap on planets should be set to 10 for the past few months (it's under previously implemented features, although I might have forgotten to update the changelog).

Just to try and get the facts straight at least :P

Also it's easy enough to change as it's just moving one piece of code above/below another piece (due to the way I've written it it's that simple)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:Ok, this innacuraccy has come up a lot of times, but when you walk into mines they are the ones who fire first, not the player! So the mines always get at least one chance to hit first (this has always been the case in 1.6, so it's not like it's changed recently).
Also the cap on planets should be set to 10 for the past few months (it's under previously implemented features, although I might have forgotten to update the changelog).

Just to try and get the facts straight at least :P

Also it's easy enough to change as it's just moving one piece of code above/below another piece (due to the way I've written it it's that simple)
Then why is there an ineffectiveness on mines unlike before, I mean there has to be a reason why mines can be mowed down like they are nothing now where as before they wouldn't. And this wasnt a knock on you page you know that, its just that I see the game lacking enthusiasm and the mines/planets are the reason why from what I am hearing from many ends.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

drake
Quiet One

Post by drake »

I'll post it here instead of a new bug post since you brought it up... it's my understanding warg fired on a planet with 11 today and all 11 were in the combat, so it seems that hasn't been set back to 10 yet
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

drake wrote:I'll post it here instead of a new bug post since you brought it up... it's my understanding warg fired on a planet with 11 today and all 11 were in the combat, so it seems that hasn't been set back to 10 yet
Pls submit logs (thoughtit was probably one of my planets so i will check later :)
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

JettJackson wrote: Then why is there an ineffectiveness on mines unlike before, I mean there has to be a reason why mines can be mowed down like they are nothing now where as before they wouldn't. And this wasnt a knock on you page you know that, its just that I see the game lacking enthusiasm and the mines/planets are the reason why from what I am hearing from many ends.
I think the difference is in when your attacking a stack, yes, if you ENTER a sector then the mine hit you first, but if you are sitting in a sector and fire on mines you shoot first, and if any remain the mines hit you back (which logically is the way it should be)

Not sure how that could be changed other then to make it so mines always fire first regardless, either that or make it so only 1 weapon fires then mines hit, then the next and so on... but that would basically mean you are taking 1-8 "shots" any time you click attack in a mine field which isnt feasible either.

The best solution, would be the creation of a new force, for instance "Attack Drones" which an alliance could purchase to defend there territory, make them restrictive to planet galaxies only (to prevent someone from locking down a specific neutral or racail)

This allows the mines to be used to "slow down" an attacking team, while still providing protection for smaller planets/territory.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

RCK wrote:
drake wrote:I'll post it here instead of a new bug post since you brought it up... it's my understanding warg fired on a planet with 11 today and all 11 were in the combat, so it seems that hasn't been set back to 10 yet
Pls submit logs (thoughtit was probably one of my planets so i will check later :)

Code: Select all

Attacker Results

Hell_Rider (15) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at live(#1951) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at live(#1951) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Large Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Large Pulse Laser at live(#1951) destroying 4 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Photon Torpedo at live(#1951) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Torpedo Launcher at live(#1951) destroying 6 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Torpedo Launcher at live(#1951) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Nuke at live(#1951) destroying 20 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) hits for a total of 120 damage in this round of combat.

Maldoror (59) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Maldoror (59) launches 140 combat drones at live(#1951) destroying 17 combat drones. 
live(#1951)'s defenses are DESTROYED!
Maldoror (59) hits for a total of 51 damage in this round of combat.

PodRic (27) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at live(#1951) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at live(#1951) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
PodRic (27) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
PodRic (27) fires their Nuke at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
PodRic (27) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Holy Hand Grenade at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at live(#1951) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at live(#1951) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at live(#1951) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at live(#1951) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) launches 3 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Photon Torpedo at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Photon Torpedo at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Nuke at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Smokey Mcpot (151) launches 5 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Smokey Mcpot (151) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Ke$ha (122) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Claymore Missile at live(#1951) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Claymore Missile at live(#1951) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Torpedo Launcher at live(#1951) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Warg (2) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Warg (2) launches 124 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Warg (2) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Large Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Large Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) launches 43 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Canff (20) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Canff (20) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Canff (20) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Ik-Thorne Cluster Missile at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at live(#1951) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at live(#1951) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Canff (20) launches 51 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Canff (20) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Daniel (133) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Daniel (133) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at live(#1951) and misses. 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Daniel (133) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Daniel (133) launches 21 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Daniel (133) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

Beausoleil (22) fires their Holy Hand Grenade at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at live(#1951) and misses. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at live(#1951) and misses. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at live(#1951) and misses. 
Beausoleil (22) launches 12 combat drones at the debris that was once live(#1951). 
Beausoleil (22) does no damage this round. Maybe they should go back to the academy.

This fleet hits for a total of 171 damage in this round of combat.

Planet Results
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Code: Select all

Attacker Results

Maldoror (59) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Maldoror (59) launches 64 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 8 combat drones. 
Maldoror (59) hits for a total of 54 damage in this round of combat.

Beausoleil (22) fires their Holy Hand Grenade at :x City(#2328) which proves ineffective against their combat drones. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at :x City(#2328) destroying 3 combat drones. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at :x City(#2328) destroying 3 combat drones. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Beausoleil (22) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at :x City(#2328) destroying 16 combat drones. 
Beausoleil (22) launches 8 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 1 combat drones. 
Beausoleil (22) hits for a total of 69 damage in this round of combat.

The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Large Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Large Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 4 combat drones.
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) fires their Large Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 4 combat drones.
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) launches 46 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 6 combat drones. 
The Ninja Killin Gingerbread Man (26) hits for a total of 72 damage in this round of combat.

I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Holy Hand Grenade at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at :x City(#2328) destroying 3 combat drones. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Salvene EM Flux Cannon at :x City(#2328) destroying 3 combat drones. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at :x City(#2328) destroying 16 combat drones. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) launches 21 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 3 combat drones. 
I, Thighpaulsandra (19) hits for a total of 84 damage in this round of combat.

PodRic (27) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) destroying 1 combat drones. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Creonti "Big Daddy" at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
PodRic (27) fires their Nuke at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
PodRic (27) hits for a total of 3 damage in this round of combat.

Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at :x City(#2328) which proves ineffective against their combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at :x City(#2328) which proves ineffective against their combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) fires their Nuke at :x City(#2328) destroying 20 combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) launches 7 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 1 combat drones. 
Smokey Mcpot (151) hits for a total of 123 damage in this round of combat.

Daniel (133) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Daniel (133) fires their Huge Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 5 combat drones. 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 4 combat drones. 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Daniel (133) fires their Insanely Large Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 4 combat drones. 
Daniel (133) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Daniel (133) launches 20 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 2 combat drones. 
Daniel (133) hits for a total of 75 damage in this round of combat.

Canff (20) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at :x City(#2328) which proves ineffective against their combat drones. 
Canff (20) fires their Thevian Shield Disperser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Ik-Thorne Cluster Missile at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Canff (20) fires their Human Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Canff (20) launches 68 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 9 combat drones. 
Canff (20) hits for a total of 87 damage in this round of combat.

Ke$ha (122) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) destroying 1 combat drones. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Ion Phaser Beam at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Claymore Missile at :x City(#2328) destroying 11 combat drones. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Nijarin Claymore Missile at :x City(#2328) destroying 11 combat drones. 
Ke$ha (122) fires their Torpedo Launcher at :x City(#2328) destroying 6 combat drones. 
Ke$ha (122) hits for a total of 87 damage in this round of combat.

Warg (2) fires their Planetary Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Warg (2) launches 224 combat drones at :x City(#2328) destroying 30 combat drones. 
Warg (2) hits for a total of 120 damage in this round of combat.

Hell_Rider (15) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their WQ Human Shield Vaporizer at :x City(#2328) which proves ineffective against their combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Large Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) destroying 4 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Large Pulse Laser at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Photon Torpedo at :x City(#2328) destroying 10 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Torpedo Launcher at :x City(#2328) and misses. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Torpedo Launcher at :x City(#2328) destroying 6 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) fires their Nuke at :x City(#2328) destroying 20 combat drones. 
Hell_Rider (15) hits for a total of 120 damage in this round of combat.

This fleet hits for a total of 894 damage in this round of combat.
This team destroys 1 hangar.
This team destroys 1 turret.
A planetary structure barely survived the onslaught.

Planet Results

:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Daniel (133) and misses. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Canff (20) and misses. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Hell_Rider (15) destroying 250 shields. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Hell_Rider (15) destroying 10 shields. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Warg (2) and misses. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Warg (2) destroying 250 shields. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Smokey Mcpot (151) destroying 250 shields. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Canff (20) and misses. 
:x City(#2328) fires a Planet Turret at Canff (20) destroying 250 shields. 
:x City(#2328) launches 762 combat drones at Daniel (133) destroying 762 shields. 
:x City(#2328) hit for a total of 1772 damage in this round of combat.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

I've made changes to the code that is supposed to limit the number of attackers that will hopefully make it work now (I would have expected it to work previously but I've just added an extra line which should make sure it definitely works - if the problem is what I expect)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:
JettJackson wrote: Then why is there an ineffectiveness on mines unlike before, I mean there has to be a reason why mines can be mowed down like they are nothing now where as before they wouldn't. And this wasnt a knock on you page you know that, its just that I see the game lacking enthusiasm and the mines/planets are the reason why from what I am hearing from many ends.
I think the difference is in when your attacking a stack, yes, if you ENTER a sector then the mine hit you first, but if you are sitting in a sector and fire on mines you shoot first, and if any remain the mines hit you back (which logically is the way it should be)

Not sure how that could be changed other then to make it so mines always fire first regardless, either that or make it so only 1 weapon fires then mines hit, then the next and so on... but that would basically mean you are taking 1-8 "shots" any time you click attack in a mine field which isnt feasible either.

The best solution, would be the creation of a new force, for instance "Attack Drones" which an alliance could purchase to defend there territory, make them restrictive to planet galaxies only (to prevent someone from locking down a specific neutral or racail)

This allows the mines to be used to "slow down" an attacking team, while still providing protection for smaller planets/territory.
Honestly I'd rather mines hit first all the time, because then this greatly decrease an attacking teams force as they cant just shoot mines with no reprecussions other than a turn loss of the shooter, and since the number of walls for a sector of mines isnt in effect anymore (or doesnt seem like it is) then doing this change back with mines such that they hit first will level the balance of mines so they are more effective but not the end all be all defense they used to be.