Mines/Planets suggestion and feasibility

Archive of rejected features. All features should have a reason for rejection.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Mines/Planets suggestion and feasibility

Post by Freon22 »

I forgot to say that I do like your idea also I just never posted on your thread. Was working long hours during that time.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

silverx2 wrote:basically my biggest concern regarding the game right now is its very static and linear.

step 1.) get some money
step 2.) choose the best galaxy
step 3.) fill it with forces
step 4.) wait

i know its more in depth then that, but thats what it boils down too. There needs to be a more dynamic presence in the game to keep things moving and fun, and i don't see adding another static force type as the solution, because in the end all it does is sits there and waits. this means an alliance can effectively work around the majority of the forces to find the quickest route to their target

its just very static, and to be honest Very boring.
That part of it hasn't changed over the years though, wither that is a contributing factor in the decline of our community is hard to say.

The problem comes down to there is currently 2 camps.

A) Want to keep the game in its "original" form
B) Make improvements to the game, while maintaining the original "feel" of the game.

What we need to do is find the balance between these 2 groups, no one will deny that 1.5 was 2 much of a change to fast.

However, (and me and JJ argued this to death last night) we either have to take a "logical" approach or the "illogical"

For instance,

My argument last night was that the way mines currently work make perfect sense.
You enter a sector, the mines hit you
you are now sitting in a sector "surrounded" by mines
you fire on the mines, destroying 'x'
the mines react to the firing of the weapons and head towards your ship

The in between is that number of mines that actually hit your ship will diminish for the simple reason that you are firing on them.

To me, that makes perfect sense, no its not the way it "used to be" but it follow a logical process,

On the other hand, the old method plays out something like:

You enter a sector, the mines hit you
you are now sitting in a sector "surrounded" by mines
You drive your ship INTO the mines, thereby destroying some
you fire on the mines as you fly threw them, destroying more

Now i dont know what kind of self respective pilot purposely would drive his ship into a mine...

So the solution behind the AD's was to provide a "reactive" side to the mines. This how i see the action carrying out in my mind:

Which you will have to wait for til i get home cause im done work now :)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

----=====REMOVED===-----
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

How i see it there are 3 ways things can work

how it would be in the real world: logically
you come to a mine field, you see the mines, you shoot them and take no damage. this doesnt work because its played in a 2d universe. you see the mines next to you, but your only option is to run into them if you want to destroy them. In a 3d world you could manuevur your ship to avoid the mines and try to move through, or you could shoot the mines before hitting them. A game called freespace had a galaxy with automatically generated minefields, one wrong move and your stuck in a mine field with things blowing up all around you, but if you play carefully you can avoid taking damage.

How it works currently: semi logically
You fly your ship into a stack of mines, despite knowing they are there, you take damage, then proceed to fire on the mines hopefully not taking damage.

how it used to work: illogically
you fly your ship into mines over and over again until they are gone

the real world aspect will never work, because as i said SMR is played in a 2d universe, trying to mix 3d rules with a 2d universe will never work.
Semi logically is good, but you are still flying your ship intentionally damaging just to clear forces
and illogically repeatedly ramming your ship against forces because its the most efficient way to do things.

the complaints i see are that the semi logically way is to "easy" because people can clear them without taking a lot of damage. Adding in attack drones really isn't going to fix that complaint, as attack drones will be taken out just as easily, and id wager with far less damage output. What needs to happen is some sort of Active dynamic defense which the attacking team cant just say plot to here, and clear these 7 sectors. there needs to be something similar to an opposing fleet that is going to move and attack to counter the invading force. Ideally it would be real players, but the playerbase/alliance cap cant handle that at the moment

this is how the SMR mine logic would work in a 3d world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lPnEnROUY
Last edited by silverx2 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i killed orca.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

silverx2 wrote:Adding in attack drones really isn't going to fix that complaint, as attack drones will be taken out just as easily, and id wager with far less damage output.
I not sure I can agree with you on that part. It can be coded so that the first stack of attack drone attack you then after x time the other attack drones in the other stacks start to attack you. There are many different ways they can be coded but it would have to be tested. You wouldn't want all attack drones attacking at the same time. It would make them to powerful and any single ship could be destroyed if there was enough attack drones IS.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

again all I see is new means of trying to fix something that wasnt a problem before the change...

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

JettJackson wrote:again all I see is new means of trying to fix something that wasnt a problem before the change...
the problem before the change was the game was boring. the change made it so it didnt take 20 peolpe 600 turns to clear 20 sectors worth of mines.

now the game is still boring, but at least people get to attack planets.
i killed orca.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

silverx2 wrote:
JettJackson wrote:again all I see is new means of trying to fix something that wasnt a problem before the change...
the problem before the change was the game was boring. the change made it so it didnt take 20 peolpe 600 turns to clear 20 sectors worth of mines.

Incorrect, people arent building because there is no point if they cant be defended, thus now people are doing nothing, at least before people would op regularly and there would be stuff happening now there is nothing.

silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

JettJackson wrote:Incorrect, people arent building because there is no point if they cant be defended, thus now people are doing nothing, at least before people would op regularly and there would be stuff happening now there is nothing.
thats a problem. and one i think more players would fix.

a major problem with the game right now is people rely WAY to heavily on forces. Its a passive stratagy that stagnates. build giant mine field, refresh giant mine field, the other team continues to throw itself against said minefield. Its dull and makes for a very one dimensional game.

This is part of why the game slowly died off. Its very boring when your only goals for an entire week of playing is to clear 10-15 sectors worth of mines as often as possible.
i don't actively play because its not fun, its a worse grind then WOW, plus there is even less hope for a grand payoff.
i killed orca.
drake
Quiet One

Post by drake »

JettJackson wrote:
silverx2 wrote:

Incorrect, people arent building because there is no point if they cant be defended, thus now people are doing nothing, at least before people would op regularly and there would be stuff happening now there is nothing.

right because parking 15 wbs on a planet and having triggers online is a completely worthless defense. Because when someone is clearing your forces bothering to make it hard on them is a worthless defense. Basically if you can't set your mines and check in every few days to make sure your perfectly safe it's pointless right?

You know what the best defense is? an ACTIVE alliance. You have no idea how many people I've called and woke up at 3am cause we were being opped (sterling gives great phone sex btw)