Changing the way Mines work

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Changing the way Mines work

Post by Freon22 »

My idea is to change the way that mines are used and act within the game. Right now mines are for burning up turns and slowing down the enemy. It kind of stupid the way we have them. Like if I place 1 mine in a sector anyone who enters that sector has to deal with that one mine. Its like saying if I put a mine in my front yard Page will have to deal with that mine when he steps out of the front door of his house. But SMR is broken up into sectors, so now if I set a mine somewhere within my acre of land. What would your chances be of stepping on that mine if you entered my acre of land? Its 1 in 43,560 with every step, that is now many square feet there is in an acre.

During real life wars mines are hidden be they on land or at sea. They are used to kill and to cause damage so that when you get from point A to point B you are not as strong as you were.

I think that SMR should make mines act the same way within the game as they are in real life. So to do this we need to first decide how big a sector is. In this example I am going to say a sector is 90 X 90 X 90. You can say that the 90 is miles, million mines, or light years it doesn’t matter. What matters is we have a size to work with. How many mines are placed within that cube is up to the person setting the mines. But the more mines you set the greater chance will be that the enemy will encounter mines while passing through the sector. So if I take this and put it into a formula it would be something like this.
(90^3 / Total_Mines) = Space_Between_Mines
If you have 200 mines within this area that means every 3645 points is a mine.
If you have 400 mines within this area that means every 1822.5 points is a mine.
If you have 800 mines within this area that means every 911.25 points is a mine.
If you have 1000 mines within this area that means every 729 points is a mine.
So now that we know at what points a mine is set we can calculate our chances of hitting a mine?
(90^3 / Total_Mines) = Space_Between_Mines / Total_Mine
(90^3 / 200) = 3645 / 200 = 1 in 18.22 chance of hitting mines.
(90^3 / 400) = 1822.5 / 400 = 1 in 4.55 chance of hitting mines.
(90^3 / 800) = 911.25 / 800 = 1 in 1.13 chance of hitting mines.
(90^3 / 1000) = 729 / 1000 = 1 in 0.72 chance of hitting mines.

Now that we know our chances of hitting mines how many will we hit if we do hit any. Since a ship moves in a straight line, moving from point A to point B. We can plot a straight line since the sector is 90 X 90 X 90 it is 90 from one side to the other.

Total Mines / 90 = Amount of mines hit (round to closes int)
200 / 90 = 2
400 / 90 = 4
800 / 90 = 9
1000 / 90 = 11
So if mines are hidden you can not shoot them so your choices are to take the damage and move on hoping that when you pass through again you will miss the mines or that you will have a few extra shields or armor to take the hit again. You will not lose 3 turns from the auto return fire because there is no auto return fire on mines.

If you want to clear a sector of mines, first you will never be able to completely clear a sector. The most you can do is to lower the chances of hitting mines by lowing the amount of mines in the sector. So you can move in and out of a sector which will cost you 1 turn each time to bang into the mines until the chances of hitting a mine is low.

The object here is to damage you enough so that the defending team can counter attack you. I do not know if my math is right but I am sure some of you will check it and make corrections if it is off.

If you have another idea this is the thread to bring it up in as long as it is different then the way that current mines works.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Changing the way Mines work

Post by N.ator »

this concept is very confusing.

but from what i have read and understood, you are taking in fact of the "area" within the sector. but there is one problem with this. you are making mines unknown and not being seen. but this means that you wont even know if there are mines in the sector or not if you scan. and then say if you keep going in you will instantly die when yout ry to back out.

idk its a good concept, but you should be able to stay in sector and attack mines.
ImageImage
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thanks but it doesn't matter anymore Page has fix the mines. So no point in looking at other options.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

theyre not fixed
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

N.ator wrote:this concept is very confusing.
Its really not confusing, just think about how mines are used in real life wars. Then think about how they would be used if we Humans were in space and was trying to mine an AREA of space. It does require a attack team to think before they go in and attack an emeny planet galaxy.

But like I said it doesn't matter anymore. I think Pages fix for mines in SMR maybe the answer if you think about it. If an attack team was to move into a sector and start attacking mines it would move the remaining mines around there by closing the green exit. Mines hitting harder as you move into the sector fulfills the need to UNO more offen which will burn up more turns. The fact that the trigger now will take damage means that he will not only have to watch his shields but he will have to watch all members shields. Once in a while someone from the attacking team may get stuck in sector with low shields so he/she will not be able to UNO until the other members clear the sector. Which will make a nice easy target for the defending team.

Instead of beating Page up you guys should be working with him on adjusting this so it is fair for both the attack team and the defending team. Instead of trying to push it back to the old method which everyone was crying about the huge mine fields. For those that say they don't remember players crying about mines. It much have been before your time, you did not read web board back then, you have a poor memory, you were one of the ones crying but don't like the change. Whatever the case mines have been a big topic for a long time.