Newbie Helper stuff

Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Newbie Helper stuff

Post by Vtreka »

OK this is kinda big and some of you admins might want to make additions or alterations to what I've said here so didn't want to add it to the To Do: list.

First of all they should be put directly into a Newbie alliance (which they will be free to leave at any point) at the start of the game and they should get a personal message which contains information for getting into chat, a link to the manual, information as to Newbie helpers and leaders which will show up in Blue on CPL (I think there was an idea to put admins in a specific colour as well) to let them know who they can ask for help ingame as well as details about their alliance. Leaders and helpers will both be in blue but will have specific (Leader) or (Helper) after their name in italics. We will only take a few helpers and these will be VERY active people in the game who would like to answer questions newbies might ask from all different time zones so we have at least 1 Blue person on CPL at most times.

The Personal message will go something like this: (* denotes new message)

* Welcome to Space Merchant Realms, this message is to get you underway with infromation to start you off in the game. All newbie and beginner rated player are placed into a teaching alliance run by a Veteran player who is experienced enough to answer all your questions and give you a helping hand at learning the basics of the game.

* Apart from your leader (denoted with a star on your alliance roster) there are various other ways to get information and help. newbie helpers are players in Blue marked on teh Current Players List which you can view by clicking the link on teh left-hand side of the screen that says "Current PLayers". Also you can visit the SMR Manual via a link on the left which gives detailed information on all aspects fo the game.

* SMR is a very community orientated game and as such there is an IRC Chat server setup for peope to talk with each other and co-ordinate your alliances. There is a link on hte left which will take you directly to the main SMR room where people come to hang out and chat. You can also get help in the game inteh #smr-help room. You can access this by typing /join #smr-help in the server window. If you prefer to use a dedciated program to access IRC Chat rather than a browser you can goto http://www.mirc.com which is a good shareware program (asks to register the program after 30 days but you can still use it after 30 days so you won't get cut off from using it) or http://www.xchat.org which is a free alternative. In the options of either program you will need to enter the server information to access the server. Add a new server and enter the server address irc.vjtd3.com using port 6667. Once connected you can use the /join command to join #smr, #smr-help or any other room on the server as normal.

* Apart from this you can view the webboard via a link on the left to join in community chat and conversations, ask questions for help and make suggestions for the game in various forums.

* To get underway, click the alliance link on the left where you can get more information on how to get started on the alliance message board which will get you into your alliance chat on IRC so you can get started and have your questions answered.

On the alliance message board these messages will be in place

Welcome to the game
Welcome to the newbie alliance for your race. This is where all information you will need to get into the game will be located. First thing you will want to do is join IRC and get into the interaction with other people in the game.

Joining IRC and Alliance Chat
Put here the same stuff from the PM but add stuff to do with getting into alliance chat... i question how we will set that up, newbie alliance chats... any ideas? Also a refernce to getting into #smr-help and its significance.

Starting to play
Tips on how to start the game. I.e. selling weapon to get more cargo holds, scouting, how to trade, find routes on galaxy map etc.

Information on hunting
Info on hunting here, warnings about raiding planets and ports. Mention forces in here as well.

Galaxy setup
Just general information on how the galaxy is setup with vets and newbies, about leaving racials and interacting with vets. Limitations on newbies as to top racials. Newbie turn protection and federal protection.

Anything else just add later ;) I'm so tired I can't think of more.[/u]
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
EstoyLoco
Admin Emeritus

Post by EstoyLoco »

Well in alliance board. . i would think we could make text about hunting - trading -busting . I've just asked Ardbeg to do a busting text if he could i'll try to work on hunting and trading..

Leadership could be an option (or logical gameplay plan..like getting planets etc.. would explain em how it works with alliances as it will help them understand why there is neutral galaxies etc..

you guys think we should get that?

Anyway It is just more specific options for ppl that will have hard time lets say hunting.. after the getting started.. they will be able to maybe fix their problem with that section.. They will learn on major components ..

Btw V good resume of what need to be msged about em.. everything that needs to be there is there imho!!! Well done!
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

While I'm thinking of it from a coding perspective, don't forget that the leaders of the newbie alliances (who will be using second accounts to do so) will not be able to leave their NMV, cant' gain xp, can't get any cash beyond their 5,000 credits and can't leave racials.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Okay. I need to know who leaders are asap. (so we can make accounts for them and add them to the the scripts)

I coded all that alliance message board stuff and personal messages. So if those change post them here or tell me so I can change them.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
EstoyLoco
Admin Emeritus

Post by EstoyLoco »

Here's what i have who proposed...

Leaders : - Ardbeg
- Vladdy
- Seldum
- Sorrow
- PV
- Estoy
- Trigek
- Smor
- PaganG (who the hell is that) ( he says he might need another vet as he doesn't know all answers)

PaganG is a bit newer.. Maybe we could try him in normal helpers as he wanted to get involved even not having the status.. i like ppl trying...

For the other ones here i think we can set accounts.. and well i'll get in touch with zool one day...

ICQ : 5120224 ... if you wanna get in touch with me zool! MSN : jiefc@hotmail.com

Random helpers (not leader but helper on main account)
-PaganG?
- Canff
- ~Penny Wise~ (Stann in chat)
- Vtreka
- SOul
Last edited by EstoyLoco on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EstoyLoco
Admin Emeritus

Post by EstoyLoco »

Would it be possible to make a p lace where we can know who join newb alliances.. So leaders will see who joined and can msg them ..

And also for admins.. i would like to know when there is more ppl joining depending on marketing stuff i do...

And also a database where we see all newbi status and how much days they been inactive for! :) could be useful to see rapidly % of newbs staying active or leaving the game!! Thanks

~EstoyLoco~
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

ok I will make new accounts for those players. Is there a preference for which race alliance they lead?
-Henry David Thoreau
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

also remember we can't change colors on CPL for someones main account (then they can't be green/red for align). Although we can add Help to the end.
-Henry David Thoreau
EstoyLoco
Admin Emeritus

Post by EstoyLoco »

/me wanna be salvene :)

As for others nobody really mentionned me specific races really..

~EstoyLoco~
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

Smor expressed an interest in being one of the newbie helpers on their main account.