Single shield clearing

Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Single shield clearing

Post by Freon22 »

We have all heard the term "Single shield clearing". I would like to suggest a fix to stop it. But inorder to fix it you have to understand how and why it works.

This is how it works.
You enter a mined sector with only 1 shield. How lets say from the amount of mines in the first stack you are going to hit 20 of them. Since mine damage does not rollover you destroy 400 damage points of mines for only 1 shield.

This is why it works.
When you enter that mined sector you are not being hit with 20 mines. Instead you are being hit with 1 mine that equals 20 mines. Since mine damage does not rollover that 1 mine only take the 1 shield from your ship. So you destroy 20 mines 400 damage points, at a cost to you of 1 damage point.

This is my idea of a fix.
Have the 20 mines that are going to hit you loop through each one. So now you enter the mines sector the first of the 20 mines you are going to hit will destroy only 1 shield. After that each of the 19 mines left that you were also going to hit would loop through one at a time for 20 damage points each.

How you may say why not just make it so that mine damage rolls over? The reason is hitting mines and attack mines are two different things. When are hitting mines you are htting them independently. When you are attacking mines you are attacking then as a group in that stack.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thanks Sterling, I have never done single shield clearing. I gathered the information from others that have. I think the looping of the mines would still work.
Will run some test to see.

Thanks again.
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Single shields clearing is completely ineffective unless you own a good enemies planet with some generators.

Usually, when 2 alliances are warring, an alliance will be quick to respond and take their planet back. Sometimes, though, you'll get lucky and they won't get numbers to take the planet back.

This doesn't always happen, but I believe if an alliance fails to take their planet back, they deserve to have the other team 1 shield clearing them.

It's only in cases like that, and maybe a few other ones that you can single shield clear. I would agree that it is a problem, if it was effective for clearing warps from the outside, but it most certainly is not.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I think the "problem" of single shield clearing is exaggerated.

The mechanics are definitely unbalanced in that you can destroy a 50/50/5 stack and only lose 1 shield and lose no armor. The shield/armor boundary point where mines do ship damage is being leveraged to keep ship damage as low as possible.

But in practical terms single shield clearing is only effective against lots of full stacks of forces, like what you normally find at warps or surrounding planets. And as Buttsack points out, you need to have a planet or a closeby UNO to make the turn cost worth it. With single mines and small stacks, you're better off using your non-green exit to clear.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Well it doesn't sound like single shield clearing is happening eoungh to make it a big deal.

/me think I should have talked to Sterling before I wasted my time.
a2
Quiet One

Post by a2 »

IST's and newbies will die 10x as much as they do now to standalone 50 stacks. At least now they get 1 chance to run back the way they came. If your rollover were put in a IST could get killed by running into 1 stack of 50. Or a MS would die when it runs out of shields 10x as much as they already do.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

a2 wrote:IST's and newbies will die 10x as much as they do now to standalone 50 stacks. At least now they get 1 chance to run back the way they came. If your rollover were put in a IST could get killed by running into 1 stack of 50. Or a MS would die when it runs out of shields 10x as much as they already do.
Agreed, the fact that mines can be single cleared, which is only effective in some situations, helps balance their effectiveness.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by SnakeBite »

Yup I find single shield clearing to be a valid tactic. If you're good enough to keep possession of one of your enemies planets then they deserve to be single cleared ;) Like any tactic it has its advantages and disadvantages. And of course way to counter it like sterl said. imo this is what makes it acceptable. Using it unwisely would only result in a loss of turns ect while using it wisely can help you win a war.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: Single shield clearing

Post by JettJackson »

Implemented, sadly
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all