Scouting New Sectors

N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Baalzamon wrote:i don't think bumping this helps the suggestion at all.
it was on the 4th thread, everyone forgot about it. and wanted to introduce it to the new web board users. and whats the point of making a new thread about the same topic if there was already one.
ImageImage
yamo
Quiet One

Post by yamo »

i've missed pink blinky thing...you, too, Ard.
Old Soul. Newbie Skills!
Lord Ghostbear
Quiet One

Post by Lord Ghostbear »

i like the idea..only problem i have with it is if you move at all then someone will actually know your moving cause it will show green arrow saying your experience is going up
Lord Ghostbear, LGB, A Flufffy Bunny
Avalanche, Quiet Riot, _-=`Perfection`=-_, many more but those are most recent
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

2xp per sector explored right? Honestly why bother, if you spent a week and 2000 turns(eploring 1200 or so sectors) you would gain a grand total of 2400ish xp assuming there is even that many to explore. meanwhile you could trade for 2 days using around 500 turns and make the same amount on a moderatly crappy route in a Merchant Vessal. Who would bother exploring, like always was its still a collossal waste of turns and time.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Shtoopid wrote:Who would bother exploring, like always was its still a collossal waste of turns and time.
You are right for anyone who has played the game before. But for the new player, that just joined for the first time. He/She would see something happening. As it is now SMR is a very static game with very little dynamic content for new players. At least this is the way it seems, so with the 2exper per sector they will see something happening for them as they move.

So what is it going to hurt? This maybe a mute point with 1.5 coming out soon.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Shtoopid wrote:2xp per sector explored right? Honestly why bother, if you spent a week and 2000 turns(eploring 1200 or so sectors) you would gain a grand total of 2400ish xp assuming there is even that many to explore. meanwhile you could trade for 2 days using around 500 turns and make the same amount on a moderatly crappy route in a Merchant Vessal. Who would bother exploring, like always was its still a collossal waste of turns and time.
whats the point of even exploring right now? you dont get any points at all.

exploring a whole universe is an aspect in the game that alot of people do not like to do, because they wont get experience from it.

and as you said you could just trade for 2 days using 500 merrchant vessal turns. but you forgot one thing.

how is that noob going to get the maps? if they joined right in the beginning of the game?
ImageImage
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Lord Ghostbear wrote:i like the idea..only problem i have with it is if you move at all then someone will actually know your moving cause it will show green arrow saying your experience is going up
yes it would, but that is only for the first couple days when they explore the maps.

and remember, people wont know where you are moving, and also everyone starts out with 500 newbie turns, so most likely the person would be exploring when he/her has newbie turns.
ImageImage
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

NHL at least when ard ran it, had full maps inside a day or so. One of the big alliances always donated maps. I was just saying unless your going to give a meaningful amount of xp for exploring, there is no point in putting it in. Waste of time and effort on coders part and just adds more load on the server for basically nothing.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Shtoopid wrote:NHL at least when ard ran it, had full maps inside a day or so. One of the big alliances always donated maps. I was just saying unless your going to give a meaningful amount of xp for exploring, there is no point in putting it in. Waste of time and effort on coders part and just adds more load on the server for basically nothing.
And its the same now that I am running it as well. As soon as I see a newbie online, I share maps, regardless of if that member has been on before or not. I do this to be sure everyone has maps alot.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

Shtoopid wrote:NHL at least when ard ran it, had full maps inside a day or so. One of the big alliances always donated maps. I was just saying unless your going to give a meaningful amount of xp for exploring, there is no point in putting it in. Waste of time and effort on coders part and just adds more load on the server for basically nothing.
1. its not that hard to code (all you have to do is make it so new sector explored, gets 2 experince)
2. it does not add loads to the server. it wont hurt the server at all!
3. its not meant to give you ALOT of experience!, its just meant to give you a little experience. Scouting maps is no hard to do, so why should you be given alot of experience for it?

All this is for is to give some experience for the people that do the DIRTY work.

because seriously who would want to scout maps? its a waste of turns, you dont get experience, while you could be saving up your newbie turns and trading to get experience. Even myself wont really scout maps unless needed, because its just a waste of turns. Making it so you recieve 2 experience points for each sector is just so newer players, and the players who have to scout recieve some type of experience.

i dont know why you feel so negative towards this idea. it will not ruin the game, yet just make the game better...
ImageImage