Politics - How to Improve?

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Politics - How to Improve?

Post by RCK »

Another area that is lacking,

Politics, currently we operate on a 2-tier system, President and Council, the most that can be done is relations.

I would like to see more depth added to this... not sure how exactly, but sure someone has some good ideas.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Re: Politics - How to Improve?

Post by Jester- »

Maybe make new kinds of votes like sharing technology, weapon only peace, trading only peace etc?
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:Maybe make new kinds of votes like sharing technology, weapon only peace, trading only peace etc?
That had actually crossed my mind.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

I like those ideas as well, we could have it set up as treaties - trade treaties, etc., maybe even vary the length of the treaty?
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

I have fewer fleshed out ideas on politics, but I'll throw some funny ones and reasonable ones out there:

1. Each council can, by unanimous vote, choose to try to assassinate a competing president by sending a heavily armed NPC ship to attempt to take out the player. No idea how this would work, but it sounds pretty fun. Death by assassination would cost you 20% of your exp in the hopes that someone else would become president.

2. Agree with Jester's ideas about breaking up peace votes for tech/weapon sharing and trading. Also allow a vote that would let a specific race fed in your galaxy without any other benefits.

3. Offer the ability to issue cease-fires, which are limited time peace treaties (say, one week).

4. Allow the council to set a tax rate. Call it a sales tax on all goods sold at any racial port (would be paid by traders as a built in cost). The proceeds are divided among the council members, with the president receiving a large "salary." Allow the council to designate a certain portion of the tax proceeds as a tribute to other races to improve relations.

5. Let evil people be president. If an evil person becomes president, give them the vote option to legalize evil goods (no fed inspection at legalized ports). Exp gains might need to be modified so good people have just as much a chance of becoming president as evil people.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

1. Not sure.... potential maybe? Would need more thought.
2. Already Agreed to this one in Jesters post.
3. Due to the 'short' nature of rounds in SMR, I dont see a need for this really, specially as peace can be added/removed within a week.
4. Sounds good, would need to add some elements for 'unrest' or something, basically some way to keep people from over taxing.
5. Also has potential, no reason to assume there is always a good president
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

5. Also has potential, no reason to assume there is always a good president
History is filled with evil leaders, after all :)
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

jouldax wrote:I have fewer fleshed out ideas on politics, but I'll throw some funny ones and reasonable ones out there:

4. Allow the council to set a tax rate. Call it a sales tax on all goods sold at any racial port (would be paid by traders as a built in cost). The proceeds are divided among the council members, with the president receiving a large "salary." Allow the council to designate a certain portion of the tax proceeds as a tribute to other races to improve relations.
How about other races that use the ports have to pay the taxes? So a Creo trading a Salv route would be taxed but a Salv wouldn't.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Incognito wrote:
jouldax wrote:I have fewer fleshed out ideas on politics, but I'll throw some funny ones and reasonable ones out there:

How about other races that use the ports have to pay the taxes? So a Creo trading a Salv route would be taxed but a Salv wouldn't.

That I can agree with
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

5. Let evil people be president. If an evil person becomes president, give them the vote option to legalize evil goods (no fed inspection at legalized ports). Exp gains might need to be modified so good people have just as much a chance of becoming president as evil people.
This idea could grow. You would need to counter-balance it though with a good president having more exp/cash for the top good "goods." Like if you're a good align trader you get 5% more cash/exp.