Alliance Wars!

Archive of rejected features. All features should have a reason for rejection.
LDedric

Alliance Wars!

Post by LDedric »

I was thinking last night after talking to RCK and LotuS, about things that could use some tweaking to work better. Some they like4d some no so much.

Hover it got me brainstorming and thinking about what can we add to SMR to help draw in more people. As it has been pointed out SMR is no longer a trading game like I remember it but a hunting game that pulls in a great many trade aspects for balance.

After some initial brainstorming I had an idea I wrote it out, and rewrote it several times, Till I finally came came up with the following.

The way we have planet galaxies while we have planets, really offers little more than some busting and counter-ops that run along side it. So I figure let's expand on that see what we can do to make those type of ops much more fun, while also giving new players areas that are generally safer to learn in.

What I though of was this.

Keep the gal system intact kinda like it is now. However add low, medium and large planet gal's ranging from the current 6x4 to 10x10. You will see why in a moment.

Each Gal has a HQ, however these HQ's are different, They start out as "Neutral Ports" and an alliance can "buy" the HQ (max of 1 per alliance)" By doing this all ports in that gal become "alliance ports." Their are no fed beacons instead they have alliance beacons. And all of these beacons can be attacked and destroyed. Alliances have to fund the HQ to make more beacons, something like 200 million per beacon. Also for additional funds say 100 million you can buy a location in your HQ area. Each planet gal can have as many beacons as it is in the shortest distance. So small newbie alliances can take a 6x4 and have 4 alliance beacons, while that big 10x10 can have a max of 10. Just getting all 10 would be an achievement that's 2 billion credits. Each Beacon has the stats of a Level 9 port.

Here is the kicker. You see by claiming the galaxy only your traders can trade there, all the ports are "Alliance Ports" which can also be raided by opposing alliances in an attempt to bankrupt the current alliance, and this becomes more important if you look at this.

Set it so racial Gal's can have port sizes to a max of 5, the big gal's can have a port to a max of 7. Planet gal's can have ports to a max of 9. So alliances not only have to build their planets for safe places to park, and bond money. They also have to protect their galaxy or they can not trade the higher end goods.

In addition, once your alliance goes over 100,000 exp fed in racial don't work for that alliance. Once over 500,000, The fed in the big gal's don't work either, and neither do the racial ports! and once over 1 million the big galaxy ports don't work either!. However Alliance HQ's allow you to park under protection same as if it was a fed with no cap. If the beacon is destroyed while a trader is parked there, they are sent to their respective racial HQ, under protection for 24 hours, or until they move 1 sector.

Each planet gal begins with a max of a level 6 port, so alliances have to build up their routes as well!

Now here is the singer.
If any alliance looses all their beacons, the opposing alliance leader get's an option on his/her trader screen.
Take over galaxy or Remove Enhancements.

If they take it over their galaxy is sent to unclaimed, and they take over and all beacons are returned to normal, and all traders parked there, Planet or Beacon, are sent to their respective racial HQ's under protection for 24 hours, or until they move 1 sector.

Or he/she may degrade a port to it's starting level or remove 2 Locations.

By doing this it gives veteran players an area that they have to work on and strive for. Alliances will have to keep traders and hunters active. So they can get that big 10x10 but it's going to cost them because everyone else wants it too. While also giving new players a more safe area for new players to trade and learn in along side the more experienced players.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Alliance Wars!

Post by Purify »

Something needs to be done with the planet wars.

This idea is as creative and sounds as fun as any I have seen. Nice work.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

We discussed this yesterday..

I like it, needs some fine tuning but i think it would be a good future for Planet galaxies.
LDedric

Post by LDedric »

Still looking for some player feedback on this 1.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I don't mean to put down an original idea, but any idea that needs more than a few sentences to explain is not feasible in my opinion.

I like the idea of having alliances claim galaxies, but the thing is: that option already exists. It's done by way of mine fields and the good thing is that you have to defend those, they cost maintenance and commitment. In conclusion: a perfect way of claiming a galaxy already exists, why change it.

I don't like the idea of letting being able to trade at a port depend on your alliance xp. When I'm in an alliance, I'm still an individual and I want to be able to do individual things. Also, big alliance do not always have a lot of xp. Anyone recall Crusaders: those losers never made an average of over 50k, but they were the best fun I ever had in this game because they just didn't give a :D.

Finally, I don't have a clue where you got the idea that this game has become a hunter's game. Hunting is dead, at least if you define hunting as people in hunting ships killing traders or maybe other hunters. The low activity, combined with the fact that people have become too experienced to be killed while trading, has killed hunting. If there is anyway to at least get me back to playing, it is re-introducing that spectacular adrenaline rush.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Edgecrusher wrote:I don't mean to put down an original idea, but any idea that needs more than a few sentences to explain is not feasible in my opinion.

I like the idea of having alliances claim galaxies, but the thing is: that option already exists. It's done by way of mine fields and the good thing is that you have to defend those, they cost maintenance and commitment. In conclusion: a perfect way of claiming a galaxy already exists, why change it.

I don't like the idea of letting being able to trade at a port depend on your alliance xp. When I'm in an alliance, I'm still an individual and I want to be able to do individual things. Also, big alliance do not always have a lot of xp. Anyone recall Crusaders: those losers never made an average of over 50k, but they were the best fun I ever had in this game because they just didn't give a :D.

Finally, I don't have a clue where you got the idea that this game has become a hunter's game. Hunting is dead, at least if you define hunting as people in hunting ships killing traders or maybe other hunters. The low activity, combined with the fact that people have become too experienced to be killed while trading, has killed hunting. If there is anyway to at least get me back to playing, it is re-introducing that spectacular adrenaline rush.
I recommend coffee... or maybe a JOLT!... least til we can bring back that adrenaline rush via ingame :P
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

This concept has some good ideas but some obvious and fatal flaws.

Anyone like RCK want to clean it up a bit?
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Grey Death wrote:This concept has some good ideas but some obvious and fatal flaws.

Why is it always me..... :P
Grey Death
Admin Emeritus

Post by Grey Death »

RCK wrote:
Grey Death wrote:This concept has some good ideas but some obvious and fatal flaws.

Why is it always me..... :P
Probably because you were the second post on the thread, the first admin response, and you approved it.
Grey Death
Leader TLS and former War leader KAOS
-A conquered people should know when the are conquered!
Anonymous Roman General
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

I dont understand this at all, it is a very confusing idea, i am going to move it into the rejected for now, if we need to resurrect it we can do so if it is properly explained
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all