Politics - How to Improve?

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Politics - How to Improve?

Post by RCK »

Harry Krishna wrote:How does this improve politics?
Its a round about way ;)

Basically the goods discussion has come about due to allowing an evil alignment to become president.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

RCK wrote:So

Top tier: Medical Supplies
Mid: ?
Bottom: ?

I'd go with Books as Bottom maybe, depending on what ideas we have for another 'good' good.
Top tier: Medical Supplies
Mid: Toys?
Bottom: Books
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Im liking the farming aspect... Seeds or fertilizer maybe?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

This takes alignment out of the presidency all together. So being president is all about who has the highest experience. That takes away something from the game instead of adding to it IMO.

I like the idea of making different types of peace votes (weapon only, trade only, both). I'm assuming by that logic that WAR votes would undo all existing peace votes...or maybe there could be votes to end the weapon/trade pacts.

Races should start out with neutral global relations with each other but unable to trade or use weapons.

Also, there could be other types of votes:
Set a daily parking fee for neutral/friendly aligned races to park in your race's fed
Set trade taxes at your race's ports paid by neutral/friendly aligned races trading your ports
Set bank fee to deposit/withdraw money from banks within your racial galaxy charged to neutral/friendly races.

These fees could be council votes, or they could be set by the President

It would be cool for players to be able to park in unfriendly fed for a fee and a drop in alignment. Call it bribing public officials, done only at the HQ. For example: $5 million cash and -25 alignment you get 24 hours to park.
that which pods you makes you stronger
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Harry Krishna wrote:This takes alignment out of the presidency all together. So being president is all about who has the highest experience. That takes away something from the game instead of adding to it IMO.
Bad HK for not reading the whole thread! (Or im mixing irc/forum conversations) Either way...

The idea is to allow either evil or good presidents. However, we would replace the current 'experience == president" model with more of democracy were the council members would vote on the presidency. To do this efficiently, I would say we need to increase the size of the council to 15 or 20.

This would mean more involvement by players and potential presidents would have to work for the votes, IMO this gives incentive for people to communicate across alliances and work together for mutual benefit.

The purpose of the additional goods, is to bring balance to the good/evil trade relationship.
Harry Krishna wrote:I like the idea of making different types of peace votes (weapon only, trade only, both). I'm assuming by that logic that WAR votes would undo all existing peace votes...or maybe there could be votes to end the weapon/trade pacts.

Races should start out with neutral global relations with each other but unable to trade or use weapons.

Also, there could be other types of votes:
Set a daily parking fee for neutral/friendly aligned races to park in your race's fed
Set trade taxes at your race's ports paid by neutral/friendly aligned races trading your ports
Set bank fee to deposit/withdraw money from banks within your racial galaxy charged to neutral/friendly races.

These fees could be council votes, or they could be set by the President
Sounds good, but were would this tax revenue go to?
Harry Krishna wrote:It would be cool for players to be able to park in unfriendly fed for a fee and a drop in alignment. Call it bribing public officials, done only at the HQ. For example: $5 million cash and -25 alignment you get 24 hours to park.
I see nothing wrong with that, but again the issue of were does the money go?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Sorry if I missed that bit of detail. I like the idea of an elected president if that is what you mean. As for where those fees and bribes would go, I can think of a couple of ideas:

a) the money could go into a slush fund that the president and council have access to
b) the money goes no where, i.e. same as drinks at the bars and gambling....just remove money from the game as a cost of playing.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

C) add it to lottery.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

C) add it to lottery.
I like this idea, and so does the Lotto's perennial winner, Loki.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

RCK wrote:C) add it to lottery.
The lottery is pretty easy to win if you have money to throw into it and stack the odds. Fix the lottery and I think this is a good idea.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Yes to additional goods, yes to evil presidents (only evil people can park in fed?? hahaha, epic idea), yes to weapons only/landing only treaties (allow them to buy cross racial ships?), yes to taxes or additional funds going to the lotto, yes to faster treaty times...and yes to some sort of assassination (it just sounds cool, doesn't it?)