DuPont 22 Refrigerant - GP Archive - One of My Turns

News from the "Galactic Post" and "The Space Merchant Reporter" and "News Control"
seldum
Beta Tester

DuPont 22 Refrigerant - GP Archive - One of My Turns

Post by seldum »

Under Cover!
(note: This is a work of fiction)

Day 1: I got in successfully and unnoticed, no one suspects a thing but the men who gave me this dangerous mission. I have two weeks. Two weeks to get in, get info, and get out. I've got a lot of work to do, and I need to be careful, my enemies are smart, can I outsmart them?

Day 2: I read through the message board today, not too much less than I expected, and in many ways more. These people are even smarter then I imagined, but they are definitely lacking a few crucial parts, maybe they know about them...I think its best to prod them for information... See what I can pull out without making them suspect me.

Day 3: Alright, so their communication is a long string, takes quite a while to get a direct answer from the man in charge. Is this regular functioning, or is this just a bad time? I don't want to make and assumptions without being positive of it first..Best give it a little while.

Day 4: I tried taking money out from the bank today...What a trial. These guys are real smart when it comes to their money, and don't even seem to use the AA. All transactions must be passed before granted. Talk about impossible for anyone to steal. Smart thinking though, good thing I'm not here to steal.

Day 5: I'm working hard at this, its getting harder and harder to keep my cover, between the alliance boards and the universal WebBoard I'm almost surprised I've kept up the charade this long. But I guess I won't know how hard it is to keep my cool until I'm online at the same time as the head hauncho... THAT will be the real trial.

Will the mysterious spy get the info? Will he (or she!) be found out? What will happen to this alliance? Tune in next time for the next issue of the Galactic Post's new series "Under Cover!"
Last edited by seldum on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Thevians Poised to Make Stand
Early reports out of Thevian HQs today confirmed preliminary rumors that there has been indeed an evident shift in operations within the galaxy. Heavily scouted and hunted, traders have increasingly appealed to their governments in hopes of thwarting the actions of known hunters like Armory. When asked via a phone conference, the Thevian President declined to comment on the matter, though he added the Council has proposed war with several neighboring races. In the last several weeks the Thevians have passed peace votes with all but Nijarin and just last night WAR was approved with Ik’thorne. “More war votes are in the works,” commented the Thevian President early Wednesday, “as [our] traders complaints persistently blame other racial traders for invading and depleting the known merchant routes.” When asked what might have contributed to such an increase in alien merchant activity the President forwarded the idea that Legitimate Business’ recent rampage throughout the Salvene Galaxy has rendered that area ‘tradeless’ and has contributed to the rapid influx of their traders into Thevian Space.

In response to the constant depleting of Thevian merchant routes, the Thevian Council is set to introduce a bill which would levy taxes to non-native merchants when trading their ports. Though Federal Port Authority searches have brought in notable additions to the Federal Treasury, it is not enough. The Thevian Council will rule Thursday on Proposition 334 which stipulates a hierarchy of taxes based on Total Experience and Racial Origin of Merchants. If approved, it will be the first measure of its kind and will hopefully generate much needed income for the HQ.

Additionally, bounties have increased on known hunters of the area as hostilities escalate. In ensuing weeks, Federal Deputies will be asked to work overtime in pursuing the destruction of not only enemy hunters, but the pervasive infiltration of enemy traders.

More to come in the next addition of the GALACTIC POST. Stay tuned.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Intergalactic Delegations Meet
Recent events in inter-galactic travels have precipitated a global meeting of racial leaders which took place last Wednesday under the direction of an envoy from Ambassador Krekliine d’Ghouznaa of the Galactic Peacekeeping Coalition for Independent Nations (GPCIN). GPCIN delegates, selected via a popular vote held last February, will meet daily through the end of the month to discuss racial differences and how each can work to foster better relations between other groups. After only one week, negotiations and heated debates continue on the forum floor, and few concessions have been made. Of late topics have ranged from an apparent alliance between Alskant and Ik’thorne merchants and their pitting against the powerful warmongers of West Quadrant, Human, and Creonti galaxies.

Timothy M’aankty of the Ik’thorne delegation commented yesterday, “It is unequivocally a travesty beyond all reason that merchants are not allowed safe travel even amidst their own galaxies.” M’aankty went on to comment that, “…for too long are merchants and peaceful nations taken for granted” [while more war driven societies] “demoralize and infiltrate the trading space occupied by [the] Alskants and Ik’thorne Republics.” Such statements were common and effectively divided the coalition. Ideas forwarded Wednesday evening suggested an Alskant-Ik’thorne joint effort to combine their numbers permanently in a separate independent Republic independent of GPCIN jurisdiction. “If it [GPCIN] refuses to protect us, then it serves us no good to be a part of it,” commented one Alskant trader.

Thursday morning brought a fleet of armored transport vehicles to the entrance of Dock A63-b, where negotiations were still going on. From what this author has gathered, several Alskant and Ik’thorne delegates were seen entering the ships together, which quickly flew towards the warp to Ik’thorne Headquarters. GPCIN refused to comment on the matter, though a more in depth report is sure to follow. This has been a sanctioned report from the Galactic Post Evening Edition.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Alliance War Update
After a stale week or two alliance warfare has seemingly picked up. Two major OPs in two days have left everyone but Hardened Crewminals hurting. The two major alliances with galaxies, Fundamental Hypocrisy and State Force both felt the sting of a planet bust.

State Force cleared into FH's gal and after a little reconnaissance went back to attack the warp planet 3168. A handful of FH ships launched and crashed against the SF fleet. SF went on to bust the planet and kill the ships landed on 3168. The battle was hard fought on both sides State Force taking 17 pods to FH's 22.

Tonight Hardened Crewminals took the fight to State Force. After being cleared by FH pilots earlier in the day SF"s minefield was lacking to say the least. The Crewminals cleared to the first planet and took five pods to the planets defenses and claimed the planet for their own. No State Force ships were lost due to the fact that most of the SF fleet was either in fed or low turns from the night before.

Hardened Crewminal's are the only OP'ing alliance to yet have a planet taken due to the fact that they don't have a gal and OP from Fed.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Interview With the Editor
This weeks interview is with the GP's new editor for this game seldum. Seldum is currently co-leading the alliance State Force, and played for the alliance Second Coming last game. Also, Seldum has been the one putting together all of these recent GP's so the rest of the GP staff thought it would be interesting to learn more about the man behind the magic.

GP: How long have you played SM/SMR?
seldum: 7 1/2 years off and on.

GP: What is your favorite alliance that you have played for?
seldum: Dogs of War.

GP: Who is your favorite player(s)?
seldum: My all time favorite player would be Jerm, he used to pod me like every day but was cool about it would talk to me give me tips, and eventually got me into a good alliance with him its because of him I still play.

GP: : What is your favorite race in SMR?
seldum: Thevian.

GP: What is your favorite ship?
seldum: Devastator.
seldum: Lol.
seldum: That seems like a contradiction.

GP: What would you personally like to accomplish within your alliance this game?
seldum: I just want us to be active and play as a team when those things happen everything else falls in place.

GP: If some people did not know yet you are the new editor for the Galactic Post. Why did you take over as editor for the newspaper?
seldum: I just wanted something interesting to read in SMR, last game the GP was horrible and the best way to change something is to do it yourself. The GP is definitely a challenge but if I can help entertain and inform the players of SMR then my job is complete and that brings me a very good sense of accomplishment.

GP: Is it worth all the hard work?
seldum: Its definitely worth it especially when people notice the hard work that goes into, not only by me but by the few active writers that contribute regularly.

GP: With that in mind would you like to say anything to your writers?
seldum: Thanks to the people who deserve it (you know who you are) and to anyone else: write write write!!!

GP: What does someone need to be a writer for the Galactic Post?
seldum: Creativity is the only thing essential to good GP writing, the hardest part of writing articles is coming up with an idea.

GP: What do you have to say to the people who are thinking about writing an article for the Galactic Post but don't?
seldum: Apply as a writer everyone gets accepted, don't be afraid to express your creativity the worst that will happen is it won't get published. With the GP Writing Contest I expected a lot more people to be writing articles but it is still the same few people every week. Why not express yourself and maybe you will win some SMR credits for next games maps.

GP: Do you have any special plans for the Galactic Post while you are editor?
seldum: I still want to feature a cartoon strip but have lacked the initiative to sharpen my graphics skills.

GP: Do you have any suggestions for improving SMR?
seldum: Make it easier for new players to get in chat, chat is essential to SMR and separate the Nijarin weapons they are way too powerful to be all together.

GP: Do you have any tips for new players?
seldum: Be in chat whenever you're in front of a computer with an internet connection whether you're on SMR or not.

GP: Ok, on a final note if you could marry any celebrity who would it be?
seldum: Jennifer Anniston she's the 10th richest woman in show biz and hotter than the top 9.
GP: Good answer :).

The GP (thus ironically seldum) would like to thank seldum for participating in the interview, and this writer wishes seldum and the rest of his alliance luck for the rest of the game.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Origins Of Uno
A few days ago, on a routine trip to an Uno for some reason, I wondered how it got its name. Uno has no apparent connection to a handy shop that purveys lifesaving shields, armor, and boring cargo holds. I'm sure plenty of people and the creators know the answer, but I decided to come up with some possible explanations anyway, and you can choose to believe your favorite.

Uno is obviously Spanish for One, so maybe some Spaniard named it after his favorite number (my favorite number is 62).

Or, similar to the Chicago pizzeria battle of who was the first Chicago-style pizza place, perhaps Uno was used as an attempt to claim to be the first Shield, Armor, and Cargo Hold store.

Then when I posed the question on IRC I got some good responses. One was, “Uno = one, one stop to save ur ass.” Another was, “prob the coder was high and was playin uno.” This one creates a funny image of a bunch of stoners sitting around a table playing that annoying card game with one of them playing while he is typing at a computer.

Or perhaps it was just an acronym for a message, “U Need Other things to do?”